Easy Sweet Potato Bread is a sweet and savory bread recipe. Quick bread with fresh sweet potatoes, brown sugar, and spices perfect for breakfast or dessert!
SWEET POTATO BREAD
Sweet potatoes aren’t just for classic holiday side dishes like Sweet Potato Casserole. Cooked sweet potatoes have a natural sweetness and moisture that make dessert and breakfast recipes soft and rich. Move over Pumpkin Bread, there’s a new sweet and savory quick bread in town.
This Sweet Potato Bread is an easy recipe that uses fresh sweet potatoes and other pantry staples like brown sugar and cinnamon. Fresh sweet potatoes only take minutes to cook in the microwave or you can make a big batch of sweet potato puree to freeze for later. There are instructions for both methods in this post.
Sweet Potato Bread is an old fashioned quick bread that makes a delicious breakfast or dessert, and is savory enough to be a side to your favorite Southern dishes. Bake this bread in mini loaf pans for a quick and easy holiday gift.
For dessert, serve Sweet Potato Bread with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream or topped with Cream Cheese Frosting. Serve as a slice (or two) of Sweet Potato Bread slathered with butter and drizzled with maple syrup as a tasty alternative to pancakes!
This easy Sweet Potato Bread starts with basic ingredients but you can add so many variations to make it your own. The great thing about sweet potatoes is they go with so many flavors. Check out our variations on Sweet Potato Bread in this post to get some ideas!
OTHER DELICIOUS QUICK BREAD RECIPES
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON SWEET POTATO BREAD
- Potatoes: Instead of fresh sweet potatoes, you can use canned sweet potatoes or frozen sweet potatoes that have been thawed and drained. You could also use yams in this bread!
- Flour: For a whole grain Sweet Potato Bread use whole wheat flour. For gluten-free Sweet Potato Bread, use almond flour or sweet potato flour in this recipe.
- Healthy Swaps: You can make use ⅓ cup coconut oil or ¼ cup applesauce for the oil in this recipe. For the whole milk, substitute greek yogurt or low fat sour cream.
- Mix-Ins: Stir in a ½ cup of cranberries golden raisins, chocolate chips, or chopped toasted nuts like pecans or walnuts.
- Maple Pecan: To make Maple Pecan Sweet Potato Bread, use ½ cup pure maple syrup and reduce the white sugar and whole milk to ¼ cup each. Stir in ½ cup chopped toasted pecans with the sweet potato mash.
- Spices: Add more savory holiday spices like nutmeg, allspice, ground ginger, or this Pumpkin Pie Spice blend.
- Sweet Potato Muffins: To make Sweet Potato Muffins, pour batter into a 12 cup muffin tin and bake for 18-22 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
How To Cook Sweet Potatoes in the Microwave
Use a microwave to steam a large fresh sweet potato (or 2 smaller potatoes) for this bread recipe. Peel and cut potato into 1 inch cubes. Put the potato chunks in a large bowl and add a couple teaspoons of water. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for 15 minutes. Drain the water and mash with a fork.
Stove Top Sweet Potato Puree
Start with 6 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potato chunks and boil for 15-20 minutes until fork tender. Drain potatoes and add to a food processor. Blend potatoes until smooth. Cool completely and freeze in 1 cup portions in a sealed container for 10-12 months.
MORE DELICIOUS BREAKFAST RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO BREAD
- Serve: Wrap your Sweet Potato Bread tightly with plastic wrap and keep at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Store: Keep Sweet Potato Bread in the refrigerator in an airtight container or sealed with plastic wrap for 1 week.
- Freeze: Cool bread completely and wrap with plastic wrap and freeze in a freezer safe bag for up to 3 months.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sweet potatoes , cooked and mashed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- Add sugars and oil to a large bowl and beat well. Add eggs one at a time, mixing until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture alternately with milk. Fold in sweet potatoes.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan and bake for about 55-60 minutes, until golden and inserted toothpick comes out clean with moist crumbs.