Pumpkin Banana Bread is the two best quick bread recipes made into one tasty breakfast or dessert. A great recipe for leftover holiday baking ingredients!
PUMPKIN BANANA BREAD
Who among us doesn’t reach the peak of holiday baking with a ton of leftover baking ingredients? A half bag of chocolate chips shoved over here, an opened can of pumpkin puree in the fridge, a canister of flour or sugar almost empty. This is a great recipe for using up baking ingredients, especially if you have a banana or two that’s just about over-ripe!
One of the best things about Banana Pumpkin Bread is that you don’t need a mixer! You get a perfectly moist, tender bread with just a spatula and one large bowl, two bowls if you sift the dry ingredients first. If you don’t mind an extra bowl, sift the flour before so you don’t over-mix, otherwise use a gentle hand to combine everything.
This Pumpkin Banana Bread Recipe comes together in just minutes with common ingredients you definitely have on hand if you’ve done any baking in the last few months. And if you have extra leftover holiday baking ingredients, like chocolate chips or nuts, add those in too! This is a bread recipe you can easily make your own with what’s in your pantry.
Make this tasty Banana Pumpkin Bread completely from scratch with homemade Pumpkin Puree. If you don’t already make your own pumpkin puree, it’s definitely a must do the next time pumpkins go on sale. You can make huge batches of puree, divide in cup portions and freeze for a full year. You’ll never buy the canned pumpkin again!
Pumpkin Banana Bread is the perfect holiday breakfast or snack warmed up, with or without a little dab of butter. Instead of pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving, try a slice of Pumpkin Banana Bread with Whipped Cream or Vanilla Ice Cream. You could bake this into Pumpkin Banana Cake or Muffins (instructions in this post) and frost with Cream Cheese Frosting too!
MORE CLASSIC PUMPKIN RECIPES
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON PUMPKIN BANANA BREAD
- Chocolate Chips: Add in a ¼ cup chocolate chips to the batter after the dry ingredients. Top the batter with another ¼ cup chocolate chips so there is melty chocolate flavor all the way through.
- Nuts: Make Pumpkin Banana Nut Bread with up to ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans mixed in. For the best flavor, toast the nuts in the oven at 425 degrees for 5-7 minutes before adding.
- Mix-Ins: Fold in a ¼ cup raisins, chopped dried apricots, or shredded sweetened coconut after the dry ingredients are combined. Top the batter with toasted shredded coconut before baking.
- Applesauce: Make this Pumpkin Banana Bread low-fat by swapping out the butter for unsweetened applesauce. For extra holiday spice, use cinnamon applesauce!
- Gluten Free: Substitute the all purpose flour with oat flour, or a mixture of almond flour and gluten free flour. You don’t want to use all almond flour or other heavy gluten free substitutes since this is already a denser bread with the pumpkin.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: Bring out the pumpkin pie flavor by using 2 tablespoons store-bought or homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice for the spices in this recipe.
- Toppings: Before baking, sprinkle the top of Banana Pumpkin Bread with coarse sanding sugar, cinnamon sugar mixture, or a streusel crumb topping. Make a streusel with butter, sugar, flour and oatmeal.
- Cake Mix: Swap 1 box spice cake mix for all dry ingredients and use only 2 egg along with pumpkin and banana. No need for sugar, butter, or vanilla extract using this cake mix hack!
Pumpkin Banana Bread Baking Times for Different Pans
- Pumpkin Banana Cake: Bake in a jelly roll pan or 13×9 baking dish, well greased and lined with parchment paper, for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Mini Pumpkin Banana Bread Loaves: Divide batter between 4-5 mini loaf pans that have been greased and floured. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- Pumpkin Banana Bread Muffins: Heat oven to 425 degrees and divide batter between 12 lined muffin cups. Bake for 5 minutes at 425, then lower temperature to 350 degrees (without removing) and cook an additional 15-26 minutes. The high initial heat will help muffins rise and get a round top.
OTHER TASTY BREAD RECIPES FOR THE HOLIDAYS!
HOW TO STORE PUMPKIN BANANA BREAD
- Serve: Loosely wrap Pumpkin Banana Bread in a linen kitchen towel or plastic wrap and keep at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Store: Cool Pumpkin Banana Bread before placing in an airtight container and refrigerating up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature or microwave until warm to serve.
- Freeze: Freeze Pumpkin Banana Bread as a whole loaf or individually sliced. Wrap loaf or slices in plastic wrap, seal in a freezer safe bag, and freeze for up to 6 months. Thaw at room temperature before warming to serve.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan or coat with baking spray.
- Sift the flour, ground spices, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in bananas, pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract.
- Gradually add flour mixture to creamed mixture on low speed until just combined.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from loaf pan.