Banana Nut Brownies are the perfect chocolatey, fudgy brownies with crunchy walnuts and a banana twist. They’re a perfect, easy addicting treat!
Banana Walnut Brownies are the perfect way to change up Classic Walnut Brownies. The ripe bananas add some extra moisture and sweetness to the already delicious Dessert Recipe for the ultimate sweet treat.
BANANA NUT BROWNIES
These delicate brownies are a quick and delicious dessert idea perfect to feed a crowd or anyone with a chocolate addiction. We sometimes call them Banana Bread Brownies because the sweet taste of the bananas reminds us of other favorite baked goods like Traditional Banana Bread and Chocolate Banana Bread.
The warm bars are baked with golden brown walnuts sprinkled on top for a wonderful crunchy texture. You can leave the brownies simple and keep them as a delicious snack to enjoy throughout the day or pack in a lunch box. Another option is making a more decadent dessert with delicious toppings or by serving them with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream. Find more topping ideas below.
- Melted Chocolate: To make a melted chocolate topping combine 2 tablespoons butter and 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate in a large saucepan. Sift the powdered sugar into a small bowl, then slowly mix it into the chocolate-butter mixture. If it’s too thick you can add a few tablespoons hot water. Pour the melted chocolate glaze over the brownies and let it set before serving.
- Peanut Butter: Make Peanut Butter Topping by combining ½ cup smooth peanut butter, ½ cup heavy whipping cream, 2 tablespoons light corn syrup, and ¼ cup light brown sugar. You can also use almond butter in place of the peanut butter.
- Brown Butter Frosting: To make brown butter frosting combine 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted), 3 cups powdered sugar, 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla, and 3-4 tablespoons half and half. Heat butter over medium heat in a saucepan to combine butter frosting.
MORE DELICIOUS BROWNIE RECIPES
TIPS FOR MAKING BANANA NUT BROWNIES
- Prep time: Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees, and prepping your square baking pan with cooking spray or parchment paper. If using baking paper, cut it down to the size of the baking dish.
- Batter: Use a fork to mash two large bananas, and in a microwave-safe small bowl melt the butter. Add the mashed bananas, softened butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract to a large bowl. Whisk the ingredients together until smooth. In a separate bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients and whisk until the brownie batter is just combined.
- Baking: Spread the batter into your baking dish and sprinkle the chopped walnuts over the top for some nutty sweetness. Bake the Banana Nut Brownies for 35-40 minutes. You can use a toothpick or butter knife to test if they’re done. If the toothpick comes out clean remove the brownies from the oven. Let the brownies cool slightly before cutting and serving.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON BANANA NUT BROWNIES
- Sweeteners: For some different sweeteners, try using brown sugar, coconut sugar, or maple syrup instead of granulated sugar. Maple syrup or brown sugar will give a much darker flavor to the Banana Nut Brownies.
- Oil: Instead of softened butter try coconut oil. Use coconut oil as a 1 for 1 exchange with melted butter.
- Mix-ins: To make Chewy Chocolate Chip Brownies add in some semisweet chocolate, dark chocolate, or white chocolate chips. You can also mix in some peanut butter cups, M&Ms, or roasted nuts for extra mix-ins. Another option is adding in ground coffee beans or an extra teaspoon vanilla for flavor.
- Flour: Instead of using all-purpose flour you can use whole wheat flour, almond flour, or oat flour in the flour mixture for Banana Walnut Brownies.
MORE BANANA RECIPES
HOW TO STORE BANANA NUT BROWNIES
- Serve: You can keep Banana Walnut Brownies at room temperature for 3-4 days. Let the brownies cool then cover and keep them in the pantry.
- Store: To keep Banana Brownies in the fridge, cover them in plastic wrap or put them in an airtight container. They’ll stay good for up to 1 week.
- Freeze: After giving the brownies some cooling time, you can cut them into squares and put them in an airtight container or freezer bag. They’ll keep well frozen for up to 6 months.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ripe bananas , mashed (about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts , chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x9 inch baking pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together melted butter, sugar, eggs, bananas, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to the banana mixture and whisk until just combined.
- Spread batter in baking dish evenly and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.