Chicken Tortilla Pie is the perfect comforting, cheesy Mexican dinner recipe with enchilada sauce, black beans, chicken, and salsa.
This Tortilla Pie recipe is the perfect Mexican dinner for an easy and filling Weeknight Meal. Tortilla layers are filled with chicken Black Beans, Fresh Salsa, sour cream, and Enchilada Sauce for an amazing twist on tacos perfect to share with a crowd.
Tortilla Chicken Pie is made with delicious layers of chicken, beans, creamy enchilada sauce, and all topped off with melty cheese. It’s the perfect comforting dish that uses classic Mexican flavors. You can make this delicious dinner any time you need a hearty, home-cooked family meal, but don’t have a lot of time. It only takes a few minutes to assemble, and then 25 minutes to bake to amazing, melty perfection.
Since the recipe uses classic taco ingredients as the filling, you can also serve it with any of your favorite taco fixings. enjoy the dish with a side of chips and salsa or Guacamole. You could also top each slice off with fresh lettuce, sour cream, cilantro, or extra cheese.
I love making this recipe whenever I have leftover chicken in the fridge. It’s a great way to repurpose simple chicken dishes into a whole new dinner recipe. You can slice up Rotisserie Chicken, Roasted Chicken, or Shredded Chicken to layer into this tortilla pie along with all the other delicious ingredients.
- Prep time: To start the recipe, pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees. Then spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray. If you don’t have a pie plate, you can also use a 9-inch, nonstick cast-iron skillet.
- Enchilada sauce: Pour the enchilada sauce into a shallow dish, and dip each of the tortillas into the red enchilada sauce until they’re coated. Set the tortillas to the side, then mix the remaining enchilada sauce with the mild salsa and sour cream.
- Assemble: Add one of the coated tortillas to the base of your pie plate. On top of that layer 2/3 cup chicken pieces, ⅓ cup black beans, ½ cup cheese, and ⅓ cup of the sauce mixture. Cover the chicken mixture with the next tortilla, and follow the same directions. Layer the third tortilla, and top that off with the rest of the ingredients, other than ½ cup cheddar cheese. Top that off with the last tortilla, and sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top.
- Cooking time: Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes until cheese is melty and the tortillas are golden brown.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
- Seasonings: There are lots of different seasonings you can try adding to the chicken before layering it in the Taco Pie Recipe. Garlic powder or minced garlic cloves, ground pepper, cumin, or paprika would taste great. You could also make the dish spicier, using chili powder, red pepper flakes, or cayenne pepper.
- Vegetables: For more fresh ingredients, you can add your favorite veggies to the casserole dish. It would taste amazing with green onion, corn, olives, tomatoes, or yellow onion.
- Meat: You can try different kinds of meat in the recipe instead of chicken like ground beef, ground turkey, or pork.
- Refried beans: If you like Refried Beans, add spoonfuls over each layer.
- Cheese: You can use different kinds of cheese varieties in this recipe like Pepper Jack cheese, provolone cheese, mozzarella cheese, or a Mexican cheese blend.
HOW TO STORE
- Serve: After baking, you don’t want to leave this Taco Pie Recipe at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Cover dish in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to store in the fridge. It’ll stay good for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: If you carefully wrap the dish in plastic wrap followed by tin foil, you can also freeze it. The Tortilla Pie will stay good for about 3 months. Reheat it in the oven before serving.
- 2 cups enchilada sauce , recipe
- 4 flour tortillas , 8 inch size
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast , chopped
- 1 cup black beans , drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cheddar cheese , shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9-inch pie dish with vegetable oil spray.
- Dip the tortillas in the red enchilada sauce.
- Mix the remaining enchilada sauce with salsa and sour cream.
- Layer a tortilla, then 2/3 cup chicken, ⅓ cup black beans, and ½ cup cheddar cheese in the pie plate and ⅓ of the sauce.
- Cover with the next dipped tortilla, 2/3 cup chicken, ⅓ cup black beans, ½ cup cheddar cheese, and ⅓ of the sauce.
- Repeat with a third tortilla.
- Top with the final tortilla and the remaining ½ cup of the cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes until golden browned and melted cheese.