Chili Cheese Dog Sloppy Joes are fun, family friendly twist on chili dogs. Chili sauce, ground beef, hot dogs, and tons of cheese on a buttery soft bun.
If you thought the Chili Cheese Dog Casserole was a home run, you are going to love this new spin on a ballpark classic. Just as easy as the Ultimate Sloppy Joes, this is one of the Sloppy Joe Recipes your family will love.
CHILI CHEESE DOG SLOPPY JOES
Chili Cheese Dog Sloppy Joes are probably the most Americana fusion ever. Classic, meaty Sloppy Joes get even better with chopped ballpark hot dogs, sweet spicy chili sauce and loads of cheese.
They aren’t spicy, they are just sloppy enough, and they just melt into the buttery hamburger buns. You can serve traditional chili dog toppings on the side, like yellow mustard, chopped white onions, crushed Fritos, sour cream, and tomatoes, so everyone can top just how they like!
Serve your Chili Cheese Dog Sloppy Joes with other ballpark favorites like Beer Battered Onion Rings.
Don’t want the bun? You can swap out the buns and serve over French Fries (plus all your favorite toppings) for some Grand Slam Loaded Chili Cheese Dog Fries.
Can I make Chili Cheese Dog Sloppy Joes in the Slow Cooker?
To make Crockpot Chili Cheese Dog Sloppy Joes, brown your ground beef with the onions. Add to your slow cooker and then stir in the remaining ingredients, except for cheese. Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours. Stir in cheese until melted and then serve on hamburger buns.
MORE DELICIOUS SLOPPY JOES RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE CHILI CHEESE DOG SLOPPY JOES
- Brown the meat: Cook the ground beef and chopped hot dogs in a large skillet on high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add seasonings: Add salt, pepper, and chopped onions and cook for another 5-7 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Simmer: Add chili, Worcestershire sauce and mustard, stir well, then reduce to medium-low heat. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve: Spoon the sloppy joe mixture onto hamburger buns, top with American cheese, and serve.
VARIATIONS OF CHILI CHEESE DOG SLOPPY JOES
- Hot Dogs: This recipe uses beef hot dogs, but you can substitute turkey dogs, spicy chicken sausages, or even cheese stuffed hot dogs for more gooey, cheesy flavor.
- Meat: Use a leaner meat like ground turkey or ground chicken, but add a tablespoon of oil to your meat while cooking.
- Sliders: Use Hawaiian Rolls to make Chili Cheese Sloppy Joe Sliders. Keep the meat warm in a slow cooker for an easy party meal and serve with the toppings for chili cheese dogs.
- Seasoning: Want to add some spice? Add some chili powder or cayenne to kick up the heat. A bit of hot sauce would work too. If you want to sweeten the mixture a little try adding some ketchup to the sauce.
- Salsa: Try mixing up the salsa to give different heat or flavor. I like my traditional Restaurant Salsa, but this tastes delicious Salsa Verde or a chipotle based salsa.
- Casserole: Make a Chili Cheese Dog Sloppy Joe Casserole by cooking your meat mixture and spreading in a greased casserole dish. Cover with 1/2 the cheese and a frozen tater tots. Bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees. Cover with remaining cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
MORE EASY SANDWICH RECIPES:
HOW TO STORE CHILI CHEESE DOG SLOPPY JOES
- Serve: These Sloppy Joes will stay good at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
- Store: Allow to cool before storing in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Freeze: Sloppy Joes can be frozen for up to 3 months. Cool completely before storing in a freezer bag. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Chili Cheese Dog Sloppy Joes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Course: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 1 pound ground beef , (85/15)
- 4 hot dogs , sliced into 1/4" slices
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 15 ounce chili without beans
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 6 hamburger buns
- 6 slices American cheese
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Add ground beef and hot dogs to a large skillet on high heat and cook about 3 to 4 minutes then add in the salt, pepper and chopped onions and cook until translucent, another 5-7 minutes.
Add chili, Worcestershire sauce and mustard to the pan, stir well and reduce heat to medium-low.
Leave the meat to simmer for 5 minutes.
Spoon the sloppy joe mixture onto the buns and top with American cheese and any other toppings you'd like.
Yield: 6 servings, Amount per serving: 607 calories, Calories: 607g, Carbohydrates: 42g, Protein: 33g, Fat: 33g, Saturated Fat: 15g, Cholesterol: 103mg, Sodium: 2060mg, Potassium: 764mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 14g, Vitamin A: 1026g, Vitamin C: 14g, Calcium: 352g, Iron: 4g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.