Corn Dog Mini Muffins are a quick and easy snack with 5 ingredients! Bite sized beef hot dogs baked in tender cornbread, ready in 15 minutes.
These bite-size corn dog muffins are the perfect solution when you are craving a yummy corn dog without all the work! They are super easy, with the same tender cornbread outside and juicy beef dog inside. Instead of dipping a full-size hot dog in cornbread batter and frying it though, you take hot dog pieces and bake them inside a tasty cornbread muffin. They are ready in about 15 minutes and they are sure to be a hit for the whole family.
These delicious, fun Mini Corndog Muffins could not be any easier to make. You need a small box of cornbread mix, half a pack of hot dogs, an egg, some milk, and a little bit of honey. No need to get fancy with the mix either, Jiffy will do and it’s less than a dollar! In fact, a whole tray of these bite-sized snacks could be made for less than $5. Talk about a budget friendly, family friendly, home-cook friendly recipe!
There is so much to love about these yummy Corndog Mini Muffins, you’ll wonder why you’ve never made them before! Not only are they easy, cheap, and quick, they also make a good meal prep too. You can double up the recipe and pop some in the freezer for a ready-to-go snack. They are pretty versatile too, whether you want to use Homemade Cornbread batter, swap sausages for hot dogs, or so much more. Truly, they are about to be your new favorite recipe!
Whether you serve these tasty Corndog Mini Muffins for a quick lunch, a fun party appetizer or tasty afternoon snack, they are sure to satisfy everyone’s corn dog cravings. They go great with classic ketchup and mustard, but you can also get fancy with Honey Mustard that would bring out the sweet honey in the batter. Make a delicious twist on chili dogs for dinner by serving a couple muffins smothered in your favorite Beef Chili and Cheddar Cheese Sauce!
How to Make Corndog Muffins
- Prep Time: Start the Corndog Mini Muffins by preheating the oven, and spraying a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Hot Dogs: Place the hot dog pieces on a microwave safe plate, trying to space them out so they aren’t touching or crammed together. Cover the plate with a damp paper towel, and put the hot dogs in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Corn Muffin Mixture: Add the corn muffin mix, egg, milk, and honey to a mixing bowl. Mix until dry ingredients are blended into the wet ingredients. If the batter is too dry, you can add a little more to the milk mixture to get the right cornbread batter consistency.
- Combine: Scoop the batter into the muffin tin so each one is about 2/3 full. Place a hot dog piece in the center of the corn muffin batter.
- Baking Time: Put the Corndog Mini Muffins in the preheated oven. Bake for 8-10 minutes until the bread is lightly golden brown and set. Let the muffins cool slightly before removing them from the tin.
FAQs for Corndog Muffins
This recipe has not been tested with vegan substitutes and the egg is used to make the cornbread richer and help it rise. Also, Jiffy Mix is traditionally made with lard so you would need to swap in a vegan mix or make your own from scratch.
Yes, you could bake these in a regular size muffin tin, but keep in mind that unless you double the recipe, it’s going to make less muffins overall. Also, you’ll probably want to put 2 hot dog pieces in each muffin cup otherwise it will mostly cornbread.
These mini corn dogs could be considered quite a bit healthier than regular deep-fried corn dogs as long as you eat them in moderation. Each little muffin bite only has a ¼ of one hot dog link, so you’d have to eat at 4 to equal one full corn dog. They are baked instead of being deep fried so that makes them healthier too.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
- Cornbread Mix: The breading in this muffin recipe gets its fantastic cornbread texture and slight corn flavor from the yellow cornmeal in the jiffy muffin mix. The great thing is you can just buy the simple cornbread mix at the store, or follow the directions included in this post (after the Variations Section) to make it with pantry ingredients if that seems easier to you. Either way it makes the perfect Corndog Mini Muffins.
- Hot dogs: Just like with classic corndogs, there’s a hot dog at the center of each of the cornbread muffins. You can choose any kind of hot dog you like, but regular all beef hot dogs keep these mini corn dogs simple and have plenty of delicious beefy flavor.
- Eggs and Milk: This recipe doesn’t stray from the box instructions and uses the same amount of egg and milk that you would need to whip up some Jiffy Corn Muffins. Letting your eggs and milk come to room temperature before mixing will make your cornbread a little lighter and softer.
- Honey: Add a little sweetness to the Corn Dog Muffins recipe with 1 tablespoon honey. Pure honey tastes amazing with the natural cornbread flavor. For extra sweetness, you can even drizzle a little honey on top when you serve the muffins.
Can Corndog Mini Muffins be made ahead of time?
You can definitely make these Corndog Muffins in advance of serving, but they need to be baked before storing. Once they are baked, cool them completely and either refrigerate or freeze in an airtight container. They will stay good for about 2-3 days in the fridge and 3 months in the freezer. If you are freezing them, it’s best to freeze them first on a baking tray in a single layer then put them in a freezer safe bag so they don’t stick together. Reheat in the oven on low heat, covered with foil so they don’t dry out.
- Cheese: Make this delicious snack even better with melty cheese. Gently stir in shredded cheese into the cornbread batter and sprinkle a little on top before baking. Pepper jack, Monterey jack, cheddar cheese, and mozzarella cheese would all taste amazing!
- Breakfast: For a tasty breakfast muffin, use half a cooked breakfast sausage link at the center instead of a hot dog and swap the honey for maple syrup. These breakfast cornbread muffins would make a delicious brunch appetizer!
- Southwest: Southwest flavors of course well with cornbread! So mix in a can of green chilies, pepper jack or Monterey jack cheese, and a little Taco Seasoning to make Southwest Corndog Muffins.
Homemade Jiffy Mix
If you don’t have a box of Jiffy Corn Mix, it’s fairly easy to make your own from ingredients you probably have in the house. Simply add 2/3 cup all-purpose flour, ½ cup yellow cornmeal, ¼ cup sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder, and ½ teaspoon kosher salt to a medium bowl. Then whisk the ingredients together before combining them with the liquid ingredients in the corn dog recipe.
How to Store
- Store: Once they have cooled completely, store leftover muffins in an airtight container. They will stay good in the fridge for up to 3 days. Do not leave at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Reheat: Reheat leftover Corndog Muffins in the oven on low heat or in the microwave on half power. You don’t want to use high heat when reheating them or they will dry out.
- Freeze: Place the muffins on a baking tray and freeze them for 1-2 hours. Transfer the frozen muffins to a freezer safe bag and freeze for up to 4 months. Reheat them in the oven frozen or thaw first overnight.
- 4 hot dogs , cut into 4 pieces each
- 1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a mini muffin tin well with vegetable oil spray or baking spray.
- Add the hot dogs to a plate and cover with a damp paper towel.
- Microwave the hot dogs for 30 seconds.
- Combine the corn muffin mix with the egg, milk and honey.
- Scoop it 2/3 full into 16 wells of the muffin tin.
- Place the hot dog piece in the center.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden brown.