Double Chocolate Brownies are the ultimate gooey, chewy brownie recipe with melty chocolate chunks throughout for an extra chocolatey taste.
These sweet chocolate brownies are the perfect Dessert Recipe for any chocolate lovers in your life. They have the same fudgy chocolate base as Classic Brownies, but with semisweet chocolate chunks throughout to make them even richer with chocolate.
These delicious brownies are extra fudgy from the combination of cocoa powder and chocolate chunks. They absolutely melt in your mouth, and each bite is full of rich, melting chocolate. If you can’t get enough chocolate, then these are definitely the brownies for you! Serve them warm with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream on top for the perfect brownies a la mode.
These brownies are the perfect treat for a potluck, bake sale or after-dinner dessert. They’re also great for a last-minute recipe since they’re made with ingredients you probably already have. With butter, sugar, eggs, cocoa powder, and a few other easy pantry ingredients this chocolate brownie recipe comes together in just 45 minutes.
The only more specific ingredient in these brownies is the semisweet chocolate chunks. The chocolate chunks are great because they’re bigger and will spread more bits of chocolate throughout the brownies than chocolate chips. However, they’ll still taste great if you use semisweet chocolate chips instead. So, if you don’t want to run to the grocery store, just use chocolate chips.
More Chocolate Brownie Recipes
- Prep time: To get these brownies started, preheat the oven and coat your 9×13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. The cooking spray will make it much easier to get the fudgy brownies from the pan once they’re cooked.
- Chocolate mixture: Add water to your saucepan and bring it to a boil. Once it’s boiling, turn off the heat and add in the butter and cocoa powder. Whisk the cocoa powder and butter in until it’s combined into one liquid chocolate mixture. Pour the melted chocolate from the pan into a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the granulated sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Continue stirring for about 2 minutes until the mixture is creamy.
- Dry ingredients: Add the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt to the brownie batter. Mix the dry ingredients until just combined. You want it to be mixed enough that there aren’t any white streaks remaining from the flour. Fold in the chocolate chunks or semisweet chocolate chips.
- Bake: Pour the brownie batter into your prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes. To test if the brownies are done, stick a toothpick in the center of the pan. If the toothpick comes out with moist crumbs, then you can take the brownies from the oven. Let them cool before you slice them into squares to serve.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
- Chocolate chips: If you don’t have chocolate chunks, you can just use semisweet chocolate chips. You could also use white chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, or peanut butter chips to add some more variety to your chocolate brownie recipe.
- Toppings: You can add delicious toppings to these brownies like melted chocolate, melted Salted Caramel Sauce, or Chocolate Ganache.
- Sweetener: Instead of white sugar you can use other sweeteners in your fudgy chocolate brownies. Try using brown sugar, coconut sugar, or maple syrup.
- Peanut Butter: To add some peanut butter flavor to these brownies, swirl melted peanut butter over the surface of the brownie batter before baking.
- Mix-ins: There are plenty of mix-ins you can add to these chewy brownies. Try adding nuts like almonds, pecans, or walnuts. You could also use sweet treats like M&M’s, toffee bits, coconut flakes, or crushed peppermint.
More Chocolate Desserts with Extra Chocolate!
How to Store
- Serve: These fudgy brownies can stay good at room temperature for up to 2 days. To keep the Double Chocolate Brownie recipe from going stale, cover them in plastic wrap or put them in an airtight container.
- Store: You can also store brownies in an airtight container in the fridge. They’ll stay good for up to 3 days. Warm them in the microwave to make the chocolate melty and gooey again!
- Freeze: To freeze these brownies, cut them into squares, and put them in a freezer bag or airtight container with the layers separated by parchment paper. They’ll keep well for up to 3 months.
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with baking spray.
- To a saucepan bring water to a boil.
- Turn off the heat, add in the butter and cocoa powder.
- Whisk until completely blended.
- Pour mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk in the sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract until creamy.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chunks.
- Pour into a baking dish and spread evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool completely before slicing.