French Onion Beef Noodle Bake has a savory beef broth with soft onions, mushrooms, and chunks of tender meat, topped with ooey gooey mozzarella cheese. This is the yummiest way to use leftovers for a twist on classic French Onion Soup!
We love finding new ways to use up leftovers, like this Leftover Turkey Casserole. Whether you have leftover Pot Roast or Roast Beef, you can turn the extras into an entirely new dinner to feed the whole family!
FRENCH ONION BEEF NOODLE BAKE (LEFTOVER)
Leftover beef roast has so much potential to be stretched into another meaty, hearty dinner that comes together quickly since you’ve already done the heavy lifting! Nothing is easier than shopping in your own kitchen for ready-to-go dinner ingredients! By just chopping up your already cooked leftover meat, you’re halfway there to creating another delicious meal complete with pasta and veggies.
Instead of a bread crouton like you’d find in French Onion Soup, egg noodles will do the job of soaking up the savory sauce. Simmering the chopped meat in beef broth with onions, seasonings, and thyme will infuse all the flavors together to create a rich filling for your noodle bake. It also tenderizes the meat so that it is fall-apart succulent, and the caramelized onions have an almost buttery flavor, both of which taste amazing with the added mushrooms.
EASY, CLASSIC FRENCH RECIPES
We use mozzarella cheese for this French Onion Beef Noodle Bake because it has a mild flavor and it melts beautifully. Classic French Onion Soup uses gruyere cheese, but using all gruyere would likely overpower the other flavors of this dish. If you’d like to have a stronger cheese flavor, I suggest replacing only half of the shredded mozzarella with another type of cheese such as shredded gruyere, Swiss, or provolone. By combining another cheese with the remaining mozzarella, you’ll still achieve a nicely melted, classic golden brown topping.
French Onion Beef Noodle Bake would be excellent served with a fresh, crunchy salad or a green vegetable, like Roasted Broccoli or Sautéed Green Beans, on the side. To make this meal even more special, follow it with a simple dessert like Chocolate Cake or Vanilla Ice Cream with Salted Caramel Sauce.
VARIATIONS ON FRENCH ONION BEEF NOODLE BAKE
- Meat: This recipe would also work great with leftover beef brisket. If you don’t have leftover roast on hand, you can brown ground or shaved beef, seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Pasta: Try different types of pasta such as fusilli, bowtie, or shells.
- Cheese: Replace half of the Mozzarella with another shredded cheese like provolone, Swiss, or gruyere.
- Seasonings: Use your favorite herbs such as rosemary, oregano, basil, or sage.
MORE YUMMY BAKED NOODLE RECIPES
HOW TO STORE FRENCH ONION BEEF NOODLE BAKE
- Serve: French Onion Beef Noodle Bake is safe at room temperature for up to 2 hours, or it can be kept warm for up to 4 hours before needing refrigeration.
- Store: Store French Onion Beef Noodle Bake for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
- Freeze: You can freeze this casserole, tightly wrapped, for up to 4 months.
French Onion Beef Noodle Bake (Leftover)
- Yield: 8
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Course: Dinner
- Cuisine: French Inspired
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
French Onion Beef Noodle Bake has a savory beef broth with soft onions, mushrooms, and chunks of tender meat, topped with ooey gooey mozzarella cheese.
- 16 ounces egg noodles
- 2 cups leftover pot roast , chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion , thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups crimini mushrooms , sliced
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese , shredded
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Add egg noodles to boiling water and cook 2 minutes shy of the instructions then drain and set aside.
To the pot add the leftover pot roast, salt, pepper, onions, thyme, beef broth and Worcestershire sauce.
Bring to a boil on medium heat and cook for 15 minutes until meat is tender and falling apart.
In a large bowl combine the egg noodles, mushrooms and beef mixture.
Top with mozzarella cheese and bake for 20 minutes until top is golden brown.
Yield: 8 , Amount per serving: 432 calories, Calories: 432g, Carbohydrates: 44g, Protein: 28g, Fat: 16g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 111mg, Sodium: 1016mg, Potassium: 551mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 242g, Vitamin C: 2g, Calcium: 191g, Iron: 3g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.