Frito Pie Sloppy Joes made with enchilada sauce, ranch beans, and shredded cheddar on a brioche bun ready in under 30 minutes will remind you of your favorite Frito Pie!
FRITO PIE SLOPPY JOES
We’re totally in love with this sloppy joes series, so much so that we’ve taken it to a whole new level by by incorporating a ton of awesome comfort food dishes into easy to make versions, like these BBQ Beef Sloppy Joes, Pizza Sloppy Joes, and Chicken Parmesan Sloppy Joes!
I love blending recipes together, especially when it comes to this sloppy joe series. Today’s sandwich is a take on my Frito Pie recipe in the form of a deliciously simple sloppy joe! This is already kid tested and approved. In fact, my youngest even asked for a second helping, which almost never happens!
This sloppy joe is one of my favorites so far. It has an awesome blend of southwestern flavors going on here, with a crispy crunchy Fritos topping that just takes them over the edge.
How To Make Frito Pie Sloppy Joes
- Brown ground beef with onions oven medium heat, breaking the meat apart as it cooks.
- Add enchilada sauce, tomato sauce, and ranch beans. Cook until sauce thickens.
- Add shredded cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
- Top brioche buns with ground beef mixture. Add green onions on top if desired.
- Then top with Fritos corn chips and serve.
MORE DELICIOUS SLOPPY JOES RECIPES:
Create a free account to Save Recipes
What Are Ranch Style Beans?
Ranch style beans are a type of canned beans that have a lot of southwestern spices added to them. You can also make these at home with the right blend of spices, but for this recipe I like to keep it easy and just pick up the can at the store.
Tips For Frito Pie Sloppy Joes
- Don’t rush the sauce, or cook it for too long. The trick is to let the sauce evaporate enough so it becomes thicker and more “sloppy”, but not to cook all of the sauce off leaving the meat too dry.
- Make sure the onions are softened when you’re cooking them with the meat, so you don’t get any bites of raw onion.
- You can swap out the ground beef for ground chicken or turkey, if that’s what you have on hand.
- Sometimes I use a packet of taco seasoning in this, and add some chopped bell pepper to the first step.
I’d love to know how it turns out for you so if you do make the recipe pretty please come back and leave a comment letting me know how you enjoyed them. This recipe, like our Tater Tot Casserole (linked below) is a kid favorite your family will LOVE!
We put a ton of effort into recipe testing 40 Sloppy Joes for this weekly series, and because you all have gone nuts for them we’re going to keep them coming. So be sure to check in every week!
Don’t forget if you enjoy this recipe on Wednesday we’ll be having it at the same time! If you have an questions or reviews of the recipe please leave them below!
MORE KID FAVORITE RECIPES:
- 1 pound ground beef , (85/15)
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 1 can ranch beans
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups cheddar cheese , shredded
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced (optional)
- 6 brioche buns
- 2 cups Fritos Corn Chips
- Cook the ground beef and onions over medium heat, breaking it into crumbles, until onions are caramelized, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, enchilada sauce, and beans. Cook until sauce reduces slightly and mixture is "sloppy" (this should take another 5-6 minutes).
- Top brioche bun with beef mixture, then cheddar cheese and Frito chips. Add green onions if desired.