Ground Beef and Broccoli is the easiest way to make this classic Chinese takeout! A quick, healthy, and cheap one pan meal done in 15 minutes!
When it comes to Chinese Food Recipes, one of the healthiest dinners you can get is Beef and Broccoli. This faster version is just as healthy but made in half the time. Plus no marinating!
GROUND BEEF AND BROCCOLI
Nothing comes quite in handy on a busy weeknight than a pound or two of ground beef. It takes minutes to cook and goes with just about everything. With just a few ingredients plus seasoned ground beef, you get tasty family friendly dinners like Cheesy Taco Pasta or Baked Spaghetti. This recipe gives ground beef an Asian takeout twist that everyone will love.
Ground Beef and Broccoli is a quick and easy way to make one the best Chinese dinners. You still get the same beefy flavor and crisp veggies in a savory sauce that you love, but with way less work. No freezing and slicing flank steak, or marinating it to make sure it stays tender. Using ground beef also makes this dish more affordable too!
This Ground Beef and Broccoli uses a couple special ingredients, like oyster sauce and minced fresh ginger, but you can easily swap them out with what you have on hand. Check out the variations for common switches to these traditional Chinese flavors and save an extra trip to the store.
Even the picky eaters will love this simplified Ground Beef and Broccoli sauce! It’s got more of the traditional flavors of Chinese restaurants, without being overly sweet or spicy. It’s a mild, savory sauce that goes perfectly with the beef. The broccoli is cooked just until crisp tender, not a mushy veggie to be found!
This Ground Beef and Broccoli recipe steams the broccoli first so it only needs about 2 minutes in the pan, just long enough to coat in the sauce. To make sure your broccoli steams evenly, make sure all the pieces are about the same size. You could also use frozen broccoli in this recipe, just thaw it first and only barely heat it in the microwave.
Making Chinese takeout at home means you can get all your favorite side dishes without breaking the bank! And the leftovers reheat way better too! Serve your Ground Beef and Broccoli with Chow Mein, White Rice, Steamed Greens, and Spring Rolls for an Asian feast in less than an hour.
GROUND CHINESE FOOD RECIPES:
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON GROUND BEEF AND BROCCOLI
- Meat: You can easily use ground chicken, ground pork, or ground turkey in this dish instead of ground beef. Leftover Grilled Chicken would be fast and delicious too, just dice, heat, and toss in the sauce with the steamed broccoli.
- Veggies: Other stir-fry veggies you might like are snow peas, carrots, bell peppers, onions, or baby corn. Use either fresh or frozen and steam a few minutes before adding to the pan.
- Sauce: If you have them on hand, try this sauce with a tablespoon of hoisin sauce. If you prefer sweeter Beef and Broccoli, change the sugar to 3 tablespoons brown sugar.
- Spicy: For a spicer dish, add 1 minced jalapeño with garlic and ginger. You can also add sriracha or chili garlic sauce to the sauce.
- Oyster Sauce: Instead of oyster sauce, increase the soy sauce to 2 tablespoons and add 1 teaspoon each honey and Worcestershire sauce.
- Ginger: If you don’t have fresh ginger, replace with 1 teaspoon dried ginger. Technically it would be ½ teaspoon exchange, but you want the ginger flavor to be noticeable in this sauce.
More Delicious Chinese Food Recipes You NEED to make:
HOW TO STORE GROUND BEEF AND BROCCOLI
- Serve: Ground Beef and Broccoli can be at room temperature for up to 2 hours. Cool before storing.
- Store: Place Ground Beef and Broccoli in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat in skillet or microwave.
- Freeze: Once cooled, store Ground Beef and Broccoli in a freezer safe bag, squeezing the air out, and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef , 85/15
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger , minced
- 1 pound broccoli , cut into bite size chunks
- 1/2 cup oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cooking sherry
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- To make the sauce, whisk oyster sauce, cornstarch, cooking sherry, soy sauce, and sugar together. Set aside.
- Steam broccoli slightly in the microwave for 1-2 minutes in a covered microwave safe bowl.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add oil and ground beef. Cook 6-8 minutes, until cooked through, breaking up after a crust has formed. Drain fat.
- Add garlic and ginger to the pan, cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in broccoli and sauce until well combined, cooking 1-2 minutes for sauce to thicken.
Photos used in a previous version of this post.
So toddler friendly, and so easy to make. I had no cooking sherry, so I used mirin instead, and no oyster sauce, so I just used soy sauce cup for cup.
This is delicious and so approachable to whip up as a quick weeknight dinner. Thank you for another household favorite!
I can’t believe I’ve been living under a rock this whole time when it comes to learning how to cook while living on my own. This recipe makes me look like a pro. It’s quick, easy, yummy!
I’m curious about the sub for oyster sauce as the extra tablespoon of soy sauce and 1 teaspoon each honey and Worcestershire sauce does not equal 1/2 cup. Does it matter that the volumes are not the same?
This looks amazing and though I haven’t yet made it, I make your orange chicken regularly (my whole family LOVES it!!) and we also love your General Tso’s! Can you suggest a substitution for the oyster sauce? I don’t have it and have so many sauces in my fridge and pantry, I am trying to avoid buying more items which I won’t use much.
What a yummy recipe that tastes like what you would get at a restaurant! One of the best things is that it only takes ground beef, not any hard-to-find cuts of meat. My family loved this! Will be making again!
I made this on a fast dinner for the family and EVERYONE FELL INLOVE! Thank you so much it was so amazing!!!
I tried this recipe for my boyfriend and daughter. They ate the whole pan that night and wanted more. It was very good. I did substitute some things out to make kind of make it my own.
I’m glad you were able to customize it!
This was delicious! Thank you so much!
I’m glad you loved it enough to give it a 5 star rating.
Such an incredibly delicious meal! YUM!
Yay!! Thanks for coming back to let me know how much you enjoyed it.
Tried this for dinner last night and it did not disappoint! Easily, a new favorite dish in our home!
That’s awesome, Sara. Thanks for the 5 stars.
This look so fresh and delicious.Thank you so much for the recipe!
I hope you enjoy it!