In-n-Out Cheeseburger Sloppy Joes have all the beefy, cheesy flavor of the California classic without the drive-thru lines. Comes with Special Sauce recipe!
Some of Dinner, then Dessert’s most popular Copycat Recipes are for favorite burgers and drive-thru dinners. If you love reimagined fast food, you gotta check out Big Mac Sloppy Joes next!
IN-N-OUT CHEESEBURGER SLOPPY JOES
In-N-Out Burger wasn’t lying when they coined the catchphrase, “That’s what a hamburger’s all about”. Their beefy, cheesy burgers with layers of fresh ingredients are the California Gold Standard of a quality drive-thru burger.
Have you ever been to an In-N-Out where the lines aren’t to the door? And forget about the drive-thru unless you have a great podcast or book to listen to (and possibly a snack). It’s not that they are slow, they have perfected fast food efficiency. They are just that good (and their following is that strong)!
It doesn’t matter what time you go to In-N-Out or what location, when you finally get through that line and your order is called, you are greeted with a consistently delicious and fresh burger. And if you go, make sure to try a burger Animal Style so you are getting your burger smothered in caramelized onions, cheese, and that amazing Special Sauce.
You can make their Special Sauce at home to have on hand at home for whenever a craving hits. This recipe uses the Special Sauce to add that special flavor in Sloppy Joes, one of the most popular categories of recipes on the site.
These In-N-Out Cheeseburger Sloppy Joes are so mouthwateringly good, and so messy in all the best ways. You’ll want to serve some French Fries on the side to sop up all the meat and cheese and sauce so you don’t miss a single bite of this delicious recipe! If you just can’t get enough, serve them as a Double-Double and insert a bottom bun half midway and give yourself an extra scoop of filling.
Stacking order from the bottom up:
Add the reserved sauce to each half of the bun.
- Bottom Bun
- 4 pickle chips
- Cheese Slice
- Top Bun
MORE DELICIOUS SLOPPY JOES RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE IN-N-OUT CHEESEBURGER SLOPPY JOES
- Brown the Meat: Break up the ground beef into small crumbles by stirring frequently while cooking.
- Add the Seasonings: Keep stirring occasionally after you add your sauce ingredients so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Assemble: Toast your buns if you prefer before scooping a big spoonful of Sloppy Joe mix onto the bottom bun and covering with the other bun half.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON IN-N-OUT SLOPPY JOES
- Casserole: Make this into an In-N-Out Cheeseburger Casserole by following out instructions in Cheeseburger Casserole, substituting the meat mixture and sauce for the ones in the recipe below.
- Monkey Style: Are you ready to go happily into a food coma? Turn these into a secret menu favorite – Monkey Style. Top your In-N-Out Sloppy Joes with Animal Style Fries and consider yourself inducted into the In-N-Out Expert Club.
- Protein Style: If you are going low carb, or just want to take a break from buns, serve your Sloppy Joe mix over some iceberg lettuce and use some extra sauce as dressing.
HOW TO MAKE ANIMAL STYLE CARAMELIZED ONIONS
Ingredients: 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ cup water.
- Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and ½ teaspoon salt and cover.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and soft, about 30 minutes. (If onions are browning too quickly, lower heat)
- Uncover and increase the heat to medium-high.
- Cook, stirring often, until caramelized, about 8 minutes.
- Deglaze by adding ¼ cup water to skillet and scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Simmer, stirring, until the water evaporates, about 2 minutes.
- Store up to 3 days in an airtight container.
MORE EASY CHEESEBURGER RECIPES
HOW TO STORE IN-N-OUT CHEESEBURGER SLOPPY JOES
- Serve: These can be kept at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
- Store: Transfer your cooled Sloppy Joe mix to an air tight container and store for up to 3 days in the fridge.
- Freeze: Leftovers can be frozen for up to 3 months. Cool completely before storing in a sealed container.
In-N-Out Cheeseburger Sloppy Joes
- 1 pounds ground beef , 85/15
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion , finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
Secret Spread Sauce Recipe
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons sweet relish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- Brown your ground beef halfway in your large skillet with the butter, then add in the chopped onions, salt and pepper.
- Mix the secret spread ingredients in a medium bowl and stir well.
- Add ¾ cup of the secret sauce to the pan and stir well to combine (reserve the rest for your buns).
- Cook 1 additional minute then serve on sesame hamburger bun (stacking order in notes below).
4 pickle chips
you are a genius!!! this is delicious.
Very good but MESSY Hubby ate open face!
Just curious, nutritional value stated as 15 grams of carbs. Does that include the bun?
It just seems extremely low.
No, it’s just the sloppy Joe mixture.
Can I make this into meatballs or a meatloaf ? If so, are there any changes? For example, adding breadcrumbs, adding sauce into mixture before molding, etc. If so, how much?
Thanks! Love it as is, but want to experiment with no buns
Oooh, that’s a great idea! I’ll add it to my list of dishes to test. I do have a bacon cheeseburger meatloaf recipe on the site that might be a good start when experimenting. Thanks for the suggestion!
I use to live in Southern California and In N Out was a weekly visit for us. Since moving back to the East Coast I forgot how much I missed In N Out until tonight, it tasted just like I remembered! I’m so happy we can have this anytime we want , I’ll definitely be making this again!
Glad to help out with a craving!
I made this today and this is so good! I will be making this again.
Thanks for coming back to let me know how much you enjoyed it, Pat.
Simply delicious! I will be making this again for sure!
So glad you enjoyed them, Lauren. Thanks for the 5 stars.
I am not a fan of in and out, but these are tasty! So much better and the sauce is perfect!
This is so good! The whole family loved it!
Love it when the whole family is happy! Thanks for the 5 stars, Suzy.
How much longer are you supposed to cook the ground beef after you add the onions?
Just until all the ground beef is cooked through. Enjoy!
I don’t see the slice of cheese or the pickle slices in the ingredients. Are these going to change the nutritional Information?
If you opt to add those then yes, it would change it.