Mouthwatering Memphis BBQ Sloppy Joes will blow your mind! Finger licking good ground beef sandwiches with homemade BBQ Sauce, topped with Sweet Coleslaw!
MEMPHIS BBQ SLOPPY JOES
Forget the grill or the smoker, you’ll be making these tasty BBQ Sloppy Joes for every cookout all summer long! They are so easy and ready in just 30 minutes, which is perfect for dinner any night of the week. Has it been mentioned yet how absolutely amazing they taste? ‘Cause these bad boys are mind-blowingly good.
Like many of our Sloppy Joe Recipes, the star of these Memphis BBQ Sloppy Joes is the homemade sauce. This easy Memphis BBQ Sauce is packed full of sweet, tangy flavor and ready in less than 15 minutes. Make a large batch of the sauce and freeze in 1 cup portions for all your favorite recipes that call for BBQ sauce.
Memphis BBQ Sloppy Joes are a great meal to double and feed a crowd. It’s a budget friendly main dish, especially with the homemade sauce made with pantry ingredients. For an easy party dish, serve these as sliders that guests can assemble themselves. Keep the Memphis BBQ Sloppy Joes mixture warm in a crockpot (for up to 4 hours) and have precut Hawaiian rolls on the side.
These Memphis BBQ Sloppy Joes are so good on their own, seriously try to keep yourself from eating them straight from the pan. But they get so much better with our Southern-style Sweet Coleslaw on top, just like a true BBQ sandwich. Sweet Coleslaw needs to be chilled for at least 4 hours, so make it the day before for the ultimate sloppy joe topping!
This family friendly dinner is perfect for a busy weeknight! Baked Mac and Cheese and Coleslaw are the ultimate side dishes for Memphis BBQ Sloppy Joes and they are so easy. Make weeknight meal planning even easier by making Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese and have Roasted Broccoli in the oven while your Sloppy Joes are cooking.
MORE DELICIOUS SLOPPY JOES RECIPES
VARIATIONS ON MEMPHIS BBQ SLOPPY JOES
- Meat: Easily swap out ground turkey or ground chicken for the ground beef in this recipe. For big chunks of beef, use chuck roast cut into 2 inch cubes. Add an extra cup of BBQ sauce and simmer beef covered in sauce until fork tender and shreds easy.
- Barbecue Sauce: If you prefer a Kansas City style sauce, try this other Homemade BBQ Sauce. If you need to use store bought sauce, try Sweet Baby Rays! They have so many flavors, great taste, and still budget friendly.
- Spicy BBQ Sauce: Increase the cayenne pepper in the sauce or add 1/4 cup hot sauce to your sloppy joe mixture. If you add hot sauce, you may need to cook longer to reduce the liquid.
- Cheese: Of course you can add cheese to these Sloppy Joes! Either top with shredded cheddar cheese when serving or stir in 1 cup cubed cheese at the end until it starts to melt.
- Bread: Ditch the bun and serve Memphis BBQ Sloppy Joes over French Fries, Mac and Cheese, Mashed Potatoes, or these easy Tater Tot Waffles!
Slow Cooker Memphis BBQ Sloppy Joes
- Brown ground beef in large skillet for about 5 minutes.
- Add in onions and cook until beef is no longer pink and onions are tender.
- Drain and add beef and onion mixture to your crockpot.
- Add BBQ sauce, beef broth, and Worcestershire to slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover with lid and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours. If sauce is too thin, uncover and cook on high for 20-30 minutes.
HOW TO STORE MEMPHIS BBQ SLOPPY JOES
- Serve: You can keep Memphis BBQ Sloppy Joes at room temperature for up to 2 hours. Serve in a crockpot on warm, with extra BBQ sauce, to keep at room temperature for up to 4 hours.
- Store: Cool Sloppy Joes mixture and refrigerate for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
- Freeze: Place completely cooled Memphis BBQ Sloppy Joes mixture in a sealed container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Memphis BBQ Sloppy Joes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Course: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef , 85/15
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper , chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes , drained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup Memphis BBQ Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 brioche buns , toasted
- 1 cup Sweet Coleslaw
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
In a large skillet add the beef, onions, green bell peppers, salt and pepper, cooking well, breaking it apart but leaving some chunks for?5-6 minutes.
Add in the canned diced tomatoes, beef broth, bbq sauce and Worcestershire sauce, cooking until the sauce starts to evaporate and the mixture becomes "sloppy", about 5-6 minutes.
Spoon the mixture onto the brioche buns and top with Sweet Coleslaw.
Yield: 6 servings, Amount per serving: 713 calories, Calories: 713g, Carbohydrates: 64g, Protein: 32g, Fat: 37g, Saturated Fat: 18g, Cholesterol: 221mg, Sodium: 1135mg, Potassium: 665mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 19g, Vitamin A: 918g, Vitamin C: 13g, Calcium: 116g, Iron: 4g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.