Lemon Shortbread Bars are the perfect spring or summertime dessert with a buttery crust, zesty lemon center, and sour cream topping.
These Desserts are the perfect treats to serve at a picnic, potluck, or brunch. The tangy lemon flavor just makes them so wonderfully refreshing and the shortbread crust makes them easier to serve to a crowd without making a mess. For more lemon recipes, try our Classic Lemon Bars, or Lemon Crumb Bars.
LEMON SHORTBREAD BARS
Lemon Shortbread Bars are the perfect balance of sweet and tart. The buttery shortbread crust is a nice, mellow base for the tart lemon filling and rich sour cream topping. The creamy lemon filling and shortbread crust also have different textures, which make for a more interesting and enjoyable dessert. The lemon and sour cream are light and soft while the shortbread adds a little crunch.
This recipe is made with simple ingredients. Just like for Shortbread Cookies, you only need a few pantry ingredients to make the dough for the buttery shortbread crust. Then the lemon curd filling is made with fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, eggs, and some pantry staples. The layers are assembled easily, then you just have to give the bars time to set in the fridge.
Once they are chilled, the cool temperature and tart lemon flavor come together to make the most refreshing treat ever. The crisp citrus flavor is delicious and soothing. It’s perfect to serve on a hot summer day!
MORE LEMON DESSERTS
TIPS FOR MAKING LEMON SHORTBREAD BARS
- Prep time: To get started on the Lemon Bars take a minute to preheat your oven temperature to 350 degrees, and prep a 9×13 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. That way the bars won’t stick to the pan.
- Shortbread crust: Add all-purpose flour, powdered sugar, and cold butter to your food processor. Pulse until the flour mixture forms into a ball. Take the dough from the food processor and press it into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 13-15 minutes until it just begins to be golden brown. Take it from the oven and let the hot crust cool completely before you add anything to it.
- Lemon layer: Add the eggs, granulated sugar, lemon juice, grated lemon zest, flour, and baking powder to a mixing bowl and whisk them together. Pour the lemon custard over the baked crust and bake for 8-10 minutes. Only bake until the lemon is set, and take it out before the edges start to brown.
- Sour cream topping: While the lemon layer is in the oven, mix together the sour cream topping. Add the sour cream, sugar, and vanilla to a small bowl and whisk it together. Microwave it for about 20 seconds to make it easy to pour. Pour the mixture over the Lemon Shortbread Bars and spread it out evenly so there are no lumps.
- Cool: Put the dish in the refrigerator to cool for 4 hours so they can set. Then slice cooled bars into squares to serve.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON LEMON SHORTBREAD BARS
- Lime Bars: Instead of making Lemon Shortbread Bars, you can change up the recipe using lime juice and lime zest to make Lime Shortbread Bars.
- Blueberry Lemon Bars: To make Blueberry Lemon Shortbread Bars mix 1 cup fresh berries into the lemony filling. You can also use frozen blueberries.
- Toppings: If you don’t want the sour cream topping, you can use powdered sugar for dusting. Or, make an easy lemon glaze. To make the lemon glaze whisk together 2 cups powdered sugar and 3-4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice. Then just drizzle the glaze over the top of the bars.
MORE BAR RECIPES
HOW TO STORE LEMON SHORTBREAD BARS
- Serve: Due to the sour cream topping you shouldn’t leave Lemon Shortbread Bars at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: To store Lemon Shortbread Bars in the fridge, cover them or cut them into squares to seal in an airtight container. They’ll stay good for 1 week.
- Freeze: You can also package them in a freezer bag separated by parchment paper, and keep them in the freezer for 3-4 months.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , cubed
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Sour Cream Topping:
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with baking spray.
- Add flour, powdered sugar, and butter to a food processor and pulse until it forms into a ball.
- Press the crust gently into the baking dish.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes until it just starts to brown.
- Whisk together eggs, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, flour, and baking powder
- Pour lemon filling over crust and bake for 8-10 minutes until just set (try not to allow the top to brown).
- While baking, mix sour cream sugar, and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Microwave for 20 seconds to warm (this makes it easier to pour).
- Pour over baked lemon bars and spread evenly.
- Cool completely, then refrigerate for 4 hours before serving.
I am so sorry to let you know (now that I found out after the fail) that there is probably an error in your recipe asking for the filling to bake until set for only 8-10 minutes! Now I have already poured sourcream topping on but have to bake longer until st! I really hope it isn’t ruined. Please correct your recipe.
Hi Sabrina! Thank you for bringing this amazing recipe into my life.