Molten Chocolate Cake is a chocolate lover’s dream. Crunchy cake with a molten fudge center dusted with powdered sugar!
No need to go to a fancy restaurant if you are craving an ultimate chocolate Dessert like Marbled Brownie or this delicious molten lava cake. With this collection of Chocolate Recipes, you can satisfy so many of your favorite cravings!
This recipe takes a traditional Chocolate Lava Cake to the next level. Make it for any chocolate lovers in your life to treat them to a decadent chocolatey heaven-in-a-bite dish!
This Molten Chocolate Cake is a lot easier to make than it looks. Definitely the kind of cake that will impress without having to spend all night in the kitchen! There are a few key points to making a lava cake but once you have the basics down, they are foolproof.
These Molten Chocolate Cakes are baked in individual ramekins which makes them great for making ahead, especially if you are baking for one. Simply cool the cakes completely and freeze in the ramekins tightly covered in plastic wrap and foil, or transfer to container. Reheat the frozen cakes in the microwave for about 2-3 minutes on high.
An easy way to serve Molten Chocolate Cake is to dust it with powdered sugar, but you don’t have to stop the toppings there. Try homemade Vanilla Ice Cream or Whipped Cream for a creamy, cool topping. Use a fruit sauce like this Strawberry Topping for a delicious, beautiful dessert on Valentine’s Day.
Some More Delicious Topping Ideas
Tips for Making Molten Chocolate Cake
- Do not over mix the batter when you combine the wet and dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Butter the ramekins well and dust with flour or cocoa powder. Cooking spray, which is oil and flour, can also be used.
- Instead of ramekins, you can use a regular muffin tin or an extra large muffin tin (for 2 larger cakes).
- You don’t want to over bake molten lava cakes, so test them after about 7 minutes to be safe.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
Frequently Asked Questions
You can bring out even more rich chocolatey flavor by sifting 2 tablespoons of instant espresso powder into the cocoa powder. This won’t give a coffee flavor, it just makes the chocolate richer!
Yes! Instead of cocoa powder, use your favorite hot chocolate mix and reduce the sugar by ¼ cup, unless you like really sweet cake. You can use different flavors of hot cocoa mix too!
Make a peanut butter molten center by mixing ½ cup peanut butter and powdered sugar. Divide mix into 4 balls and freeze about an hour. Press frozen peanut butter into cake batter before baking.
Absolutely! Press your favorite chocolate chips like white chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips into the center of each cake before baking to give an even more melty, chocolate fudge center.
Top your Molten Chocolate Cakes with chopped toasted pecans, walnuts or almonds after they are done baking. Make a praline topping by sprinkling brown sugar and toasted pecans into the bottom of the ramekin before adding batter.
More Delicious Chocolate Cake Recipes
How to Store Molten Chocolate Cake
- Serve: These are best enjoyed warm, as they cool the chocolate won’t be as melted. Store after 2 hours at room temperature.
- Store: Molten Chocolate Cake should be refrigerated and last up to 3 days. Keep in an airtight container.
- Freeze: Cool completely and then freeze for up to 2 months in a sealed container. Reheat in the microwave.
- 4 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- powdered sugar , for dusting
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease ramekins or large muffin tin, dust with cocoa powder or flour. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt semisweet chocolate stirring every 30 seconds.
- Pour melted chocolate into 4 small candy molds or 4 ice cube tray wells. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar together in a large bowl. Add baking soda and baking powder, set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together milk, vinegar and butter.
- Stir wet ingredients into flour mixture until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Divide batter into prepared ramekins (or muffin tin).
- Place chilled chocolate into the center of each cake.
- Bake cakes for 5-7 minutes. Let rest for 1 minute.
- Add a cookie sheet on top of the muffin tin then flip over.
- Using a spatula slide it under the cake carefully and transfer to your plate. Dust with powdered sugar.