Ultimate Oven Barbecue Ribs come out wonderfully tender with sticky barbecue coating seasoned with paprika, brown sugar, and garlic powder.
We already have the recipe for Slow Cooker BBQ Ribs on the blog, so it seemed like about time we add the oven version. This is an easy way to make a classic grilled recipe from the comfort of your own kitchen. It’s a favorite Dinner that turns out with tender meat and incredible flavor every time.
These delicious pork ribs are prepped with a spice rub for a boost of flavor. Then the rack of ribs is glazed with BBQ sauce for the ultimate taste. BBQ Ribs are usually a dish saved for summer cookouts, but thanks to this recipe you can make melt in your mouth tender meat right in the oven. Just cook the ribs recipe in tin foil before placing it on a baking sheet and coating in your favorite barbecue sauce to finish the baking. There’s also a grilling method included.
You can serve the rib recipe along with your favorite appetizer dips like Memphis BBQ Sauce or Alabama White Sauce. In fact, this Ultimate Oven Barbecue Ribs Recipe makes a great appetizer to serve at a gameday party. Put the sticky ribs out with plenty of napkins to stop a mess! Your guests are sure to love them along with the dip with chips and other simple party snacks you put out.
SIDES TO SERVE WITH OVEN BBQ RIBS
TIPS FOR MAKING OVEN BARBECUE RIBS
- Dry rub: Mix together the brown sugar, paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a small bowl to make the rib rub. Set that to the side while you prep your meat.
- Prepping the rack of ribs: Place the ribs meat-side down on a cutting board, then peel back the skin on the back of the ribs. Once the skin is off, rub the ribs on all sides with the dry rub. Cut a piece of tin foil to size and wrap the piece of tinfoil around the ribs. Place the tin foil packed ribs on a roasting pan and bake for a couple of hours.
- Grill: To finish the cooking time on the grill, set the grill to medium-high heat. Take the baking sheet from the oven and remove the ribs from the foil. Cook ribs over indirect heat, and brush the ribs with barbecue sauce. Once the sauce is caramelized you can enjoy it.
- Oven: Remove the ribs from the foil pack and place them on a baking dish. Increase oven temperature to 375 degrees. Brush with barbecue sauce. Cook for 15 minutes. Open the oven and brush with barbecue sauce. Then cook for a final 15 minutes, and Bon Appétit!
- Barbecue Sauce recipe: You can either use your favorite BBQ sauce from the grocery store, or you can make your own Homemade Barbecue Sauce Recipe. To make the barbecue sauce recipe you need simple ingredients like vegetable oil, diced onion, minced garlic, tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, kosher salt, and pepper.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON ULTIMATE OVEN BARBECUE RIBS
- Oven-Baked BBQ Sauce ingredients: For some extra flavor in the barbecue sauce mixture, try whisking in a couple of Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, soy sauce, or even cranberry sauce to add to the incredible flavor. You can also get a nice smoke flavor by adding liquid smoke or hickory smoke.
- Honey Barbecue Sauce: Instead of the ⅓ cup brown sugar in the recipe make Honey Barbecue Sauce by mixing honey into your favorite BBQ Sauce then use that to sweeten the ribs. You could also use ⅓ cup molasses instead of honey. For a boost of flavor make Apricot Honey Barbecue Ribs. To make Apricot Honey Barbecue Sauce keep the honey amount the same and whisk in ¼ cup apricot preserves. Brush that over the ribs before baking.
- Spicy BBQ Sauce: To make a spicy barbecue sauce whisk a little hot sauce into your barbecue sauce before brushing it over the ribs.
- Spice rub: There are lots of different ingredients you can mix into the spice rub. Try adding extra minced garlic cloves, or an extra few teaspoons of garlic powder, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, chili powder, or a teaspoon of onion powder would all taste great in the spice mixture. After cooking you could also add to the homemade spice rub by topping the ribs off with fresh thyme and fennel seeds.
INSTANT POT RIBS
- Mix together the dry rub in a small bowl. Rub it over the ribs on all sides.
- Place the rack in the bottom of a 6-quart instant pot. Pour in the liquid ingredients.
- Place the ribs inside the pot.
- Cover and seal the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 25 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then vent to release the remaining pressure.
- Near the end of the cooking time, place a rack in the upper third of your oven and set the oven to broil. Line your baking sheet with aluminum foil. Transfer the cooked ribs to the foil, then brush them with BBQ sauce. Place under the broiler until the sauce caramelizes. Take them out after about 2 minutes.
SLOW COOKING RIBS
- Prep the ribs with a dry rub.
- Spray your slow cooker with cooking spray, then pour in the liquid ingredients.
- Place the ribs in the slow cooker for 7-8 hours on low heat.
- Baste the ribs in BBQ sauce.
- Place ribs on a baking sheet and set the oven to broil.
- Remove from the oven once the sauce begins to caramelize.
MORE RIB RECIPES
HOW TO STORE ULTIMATE OVEN BARBECUE RIBS
- Serve: Don’t leave Baked BBQ Ribs at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Let the ribs cool, then put them in a Ziploc bag or another airtight container to store in the fridge. They’ll be good for about 3-4 days.
- Freeze: You can also keep them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 racks baby back pork ribs
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Mix the brown sugar, paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Place ribs meat-side down on cutting board and peel back the skin on the back of the ribs. Rub the ribs on both sides generously with the dry rub and wrap tightly in aluminum foil.
- Bake for 2 hours.
To finish on the grill:
- Heat grill to medium-high. Remove ribs from foil and cook on indirect heat, brushing with barbecue sauce until caramelized.
To finish in the oven:
- Raise temperature to 375 degrees. Remove ribs from foil and brush thoroughly with barbecue sauce. Cook for 15 minutes. Brush with sauce again and cook an additional 15 minutes.