Seven Layer Brownies are the ultimate rich homemade chocolate brownie with a chewy gooey topping of coconut, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and pecans.
This new brownie recipe may have reached maximum sweet goodness! Seven Layer Brownies start with our easy homemade chocolate brownie recipe and then pile on Magic Cookie Bar toppings like coconut and chocolate chips. Add a bit of crunchy pecans for extra flair, top with a drizzle of sweetened condensed milk, and you’ve achieved magical sugary nirvana!
This Seven Layer Brownie is dessert decadence that’s so easy to make! The brownies are hand whisked together in one large bowl, and the toppings are sprinkled and drizzled. You can make a tray ahead of time for potlucks or freeze them individually for a snack whenever you want to treat yourself. The best way to serve Seven Layer Brownies is at room temperature so the topping gets all ooey-gooey again!
These Seven Layer Brownies indulges your inner child and sweet tooth with double the chocolate plus sweetened coconut and butterscotch. The condensed milk seeps down into the brownie and slightly caramelizes, giving it a sweet, gooey caramel flavor throughout. They are the perfect holiday brownie or for special occasions when you want a rich, indulgent dessert.
One of the best things about Seven Layer Brownies is that the possibilities are almost endless on what to use for the layers! These brownies are the best dessert to use up leftover baking ingredients during the holidays. You can add as much or as little layers you like, swapping in our variations or just use up what you have on hand.
More Delicious Brownie Recipes:
Tips for Making Seven Layer Brownies
- Add in your favorite mix-ins like chocolate chips to the brownie batter, or choose any Brownie Recipe for the bottom layer. Try melt-in-your-mouth Brown Sugar Blondies for the base!
- The sweetened condensed milk gives the topping that signature chewy texture. It also holds the topping ingredients on the brownies while they bake.
- Be sure to bake the brownie base halfway before adding the toppings. If you add the toppings before baking the brownie first, they will sink into the batter. It will still be good, but kind of a mess and the condensed milk will mess up the texture.
- If the magic layer topping is browning too fast, tent your baking pan with aluminum foil to keep it from burning while it finishes baking.
- Make your Seven Layer Brownies even sweeter with a drizzle of Salted Caramel Sauce or Chocolate Ganache after they have cooled.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
Variations on Seven Layer Brownies
- Chocolate Chips: Swap in dark chocolate chips or white chocolate chips for the semi-sweet chips. You could use caramel chips, peanut butter chips, or cinnamon chips instead of the butterscotch chips. Try out some peppermint bark chips during the holidays.
- Samoas: Replace the butterscotch chips with chopped Salted Caramels for brownies that taste like the crazy popular Magic Samoas Layer Bars!
- Nuts: Try other nuts like chopped peanuts, almonds, or walnuts in your brownie batter or the magic bar layer instead of chopped pecans. Pretzel pieces or pumpkin seeds are a great way to add crunch too.
- Candy: Make Monster Layer Brownies by adding M&Ms or other candies like Reese’s Pieces, toffee bits, or rainbow candy chips. Mini marshmallows or crushed Oreo cookies would taste yummy too!
- Brownies: Use brown sugar instead of granulated sugar to make them extra chewy. Add 1-2 tablespoons instant espresso powder to give them a dark chocolate flavor.
More Magic Layer Bars
How to Store Seven Layer Brownies
- Serve: These Seven Layer Brownies are best warm or room temp so the topping is soft and chewy. They can be stored in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- Store: Store Seven Layer Brownies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Place parchment between layers so the brownies don’t stick together and bring to room temperature to serve.
- Freeze: Cover the brownie pan tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil and freeze for up to 3 months. Store Seven Layer Brownies individually wrapped in plastic wrap for easier snacking for one. Thaw on the counter for about an hour and enjoy.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Magic Layer Topping
- 3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup pecans , chopped
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8x8 inch baking pan with baking spray.
- Whisk together melted butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder until combined.
- Spread batter evenly into greased baking pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Top with flaked coconut, butterscotch chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips, pecans, and drizzle the condensed milk over the top evenly.
- Bake for an additional 25 minutes.