Skillet Cornbread is soft, buttery, and baked to golden perfection. Made with simple pantry ingredients and ready in just 40 minutes!
Cornbread is a classic Side Dish that we’ve had on the blog for quite a while. This recipe makes the same light, fluffy, sweet bread easily in a quick skillet recipe! You’ll find yourself making it, again and again, to go with all your favorite Dinner Recipes!
Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread is a staple in Southern cuisine. It’s no wonder why! The easy bread works great as a side dish, and is tasty enough to enjoy by itself with some extra butter spread over the top. Simple ingredients come together in a coarse batter that bakes into a tender, golden brown bread with a slightly crisp edges.
Homemade Cornbread is the ultimate side dish to go with Soup, Chili, and Stew Recipes. The rich crumbly bread is great for dipping and the sweet corn makes a nice contrast to the savory main dish. We make this Skillet Cornbread recipe every time we have Beef Chili for dinner and it never fails to get everyone asking for second helpings!
For a delicious Southern holiday dish, bake this Cornbread recipe into a Cornbread Dressing. Just wait for the Cast Iron Skillet and Cornbread to cool before scooping it out to combine in the dressing recipe. It’s the perfect Thanksgiving dish!
MORE BREAD RECIPES
TIPS FOR MAKING CORNBREAD IN A SKILLET
- Heat pan: One of the most important pieces to getting this recipe right, is heating the cast iron pan in a hot oven before adding the Cornbread to it. Bring the oven temperature to 400 degrees, and let the pan heat up for 10 minutes.
- Cornmeal mixture: Right after putting the skillet in the oven whisk cornmeal and milk together. Let that mixture soak together for 10 minutes.
- Batter: After 10 minutes add the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, egg, and 1/3 cup melted butter to the cornmeal mixture. Whisk all the ingredients together until well combined.
- Bake: Take the hot pan from the oven and coat it with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Pour cornbread mixture into the center of the pan, and spread it out evenly. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Keep your eye on the cornbread for the perfect golden color with slightly darker edges.
VARIATIONS ON SKILLET CORNBREAD
- Bacon Cornbread: To make Bacon Cornbread first bake the bacon in the skillet until lightly crisped. Set the bacon to the side and combine the batter as usual. Chop the bacon into pieces and mix it into the batter right before baking.
- Sweetener: You can exchange the granulated sugar in the recipe for other sweet ingredients like 2/3 cup honey, maple syrup, or brown sugar.
- Add-ins: For more add-ins try mixing in some fresh corn kernels, green onions, or chopped jalapenos. You can also add cheese to melt throughout the Cornbread. Cheddar cheese, mozzarella, Swiss, Pepper Jack, or provolone would all taste wonderfully creamy and delicious.
DISHES TO SERVE SKILLET CORNBREAD WITH
HOW TO STORE SKILLET CORNBREAD
- Serve: Skillet Cornbread will stay good even if you leave it out for a little while. Let the Corn bread cool down, then you can cover it or put it in an airtight container to store at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Store: Kept sealed in the fridge, the Cornbread will be good for up to a week. Just make sure to cover it tightly so the moisture doesn’t get in.
- Freeze: You can also freeze Skillet Cornbread. Cut the pieces out of the skillet and store them in a freezer bag or another airtight container. It will stay good for 2-3 months.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Course: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted, for brushing on the pan
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Place an 8 or 9 inch cast iron skillet pan in the oven for 10 minutes.
Mix the cornmeal and milk in a large bowl and let soak for 10 minutes.
- To the cornmeal, milk mixture add in the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, egg, and 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter and whisk well.
- When the pan is hot, carefully remove from the oven and brush with melted butter on the bottom and the sides.
- Pour the cornbread mixture into a hot pan and spread evenly.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Yield: 8 Servings, Amount per serving: 319 calories, Calories: 319g, Carbohydrates: 45g, Protein: 5g, Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 54mg, Sodium: 171mg, Potassium: 231mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 19g, Vitamin A: 407g, Calcium: 86g, Iron: 2g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.