Slow Cooker Shredded Beef is an easy juicy, fall-apart tender beef flavored with beer, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and spices.
This simple shredded beef recipe is the perfect way to prep for a variety of Dinners. Just like Shredded Chicken, you can serve this dish in sandwiches, burrito bowls, salads, and so many other ways.
This slow cooking recipe is perfect for an easy weeknight meal. You can prep the chuck roast and the other delicious ingredients easily in the morning. All you have to do is whisk together the flavorful cooking liquid and pour it over the beef, then set it to cook low and slow while you go about your day. The meat will absorb the flavor and juices from the sauces so by the end of the day you have the perfect, tender beef ready to go.
The tender, fall-apart beef makes a great filling for sammies! Pile the meat over toasted hoagies or hamburger buns for easy beef sandwiches. Cover with cheese slices then pop under the broiler for a minute to get the cheese all melty. Finally, top off with sandwich fillings like fresh veggies and condiments like Horseradish Sauce or BBQ Sauce.
You can use this easy, beefy main dish as part of other dinner recipes. For a more traditional main course, serve this slow cooked beef roast with easy sides like Mashed Potatoes and Roasted Broccoli. It would taste great as the filling for tacos or make easy burrito bowls with Brown Rice and Salsa. There are so many meals that you can make with this easy crock pot beef recipe!
More Slow Cooker Main Course Recipes
How to Make
- Brown: Start the recipe by slicing the chuck roast into 3 pieces, then season with salt and pepper. Add oil to a large pot or a metal slow cooker insert. Set the pot to medium-high heat, and brown the meat on all sides for 8-10 minutes. Then place the browned beef in the slow cooker, and top it with onion pieces.
- Cooking liquid: Add beer or beef stock, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, mustard, paprika, and hot sauce to a mixing bowl. Whisk the ingredients together before pouring the liquid over the chuck roast.
- Cooking time: Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours until the meat is cooked through. After leaving to cook for hours, shred the meat with two forks and serve the tender meat over hoagie rolls.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
- Vegetables: You can add different vegetables to the slow cooker along with the 2 yellow onions already in the recipe. This beef would taste great with the addition of sliced green onions, chipotle peppers, or green bell pepper.
- Sauce add-ins: Experiment with the cooking liquid flavor by mixing in or swapping in ingredients like tomato sauce, liquid smoke, tomato sauce, or honey mustard.
- Seasonings: Play with flavor by adjusting the spice mix in the recipe with ingredients like onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, chili powder, or mustard powder.
Pressure Cooker Instructions
- Whisk together salt, pepper, vegetable oil, yellow onions, beer (or beef broth), ketchup, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire Sauce, brown sugar, mustard, paprika, and hot sauce.
- Add the mixture to the pressure cooker along with the chuck roast.
- Set the instant pot to high pressure and cook for 75 minutes.
- Use a natural pressure release for 10 minutes, then quick-release remaining pressure.
- Use two forks to shred the beef.
Beef Main Dish Recipes
How to Store
- Serve: After cooking, this beef roast will stay good at room temperature for 2 hours. If you want to keep the beef out longer, like for potlucks, put the slow cooker on low heat to keep the meat warm.
- Store: Let the Shredded Beef cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container. It will keep in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
- Freeze: Once cooled, seal the beef in a freezer-friendly bag or another airtight container for storage. Freeze the Shredded Beef for up to 4 months and thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating to serve.
- 3 pounds beef chuck roast , cut into 3" chunks
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 yellow onions , thinly sliced
- 1 cup beer , or beef broth
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar , packed
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
- Add vegetable oil to a large pot or metal slow cooker insert.
- On medium-high heat brown the beef on all sides, about 8-10 minutes.
- Place beef into the slow cooker, top with onions.
- In a bowl whisk together beef broth, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, mustard, paprika, and hot sauce.
- Pour over the beef and onions.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Shred with forks and serve on hoagie rolls.
Can I substitute brown sugar for an erythritol brown sugar and olive oil for vegetable oil? Thank you for sharing such lovely recipes!