Caramel Chocolate Bars are made with a chewy oat base, semisweet chocolate chips, and an ultra gooey, sweet caramel topping. Ready in 30 minutes!
Bar Recipes like this one are perfect to serve a crowd at a potluck or big get-together. The pan is easy to transport and they are easy to slice into squares and serve lots of people. For more easy bars try our Snickerdoodle Blondies, Peanut Butter Oreo Bars, or Five Layer Bars.
CARAMEL CHOCOLATE BARS
The sweet flavors of chocolate and soft caramel come together perfectly in this simple recipe. The chocolate and caramel layers are baked over a chewy oat crust, with more of the oat mixture crumbled over the top. The oats give the chewy chocolate and caramel some more structure, add texture, and balance out the taste of the cookie bars.
The rich chocolate and caramel flavor make this delicious dessert reminiscent of a classic candy bar, like a Twix. This recipe takes those amazing flavors and bakes them into the perfect Chewy Chocolate and Caramel Oat Bars. They are more filling, and the oats even add some minerals and fiber to the treat.
Caramel Chocolate Bars are the perfect desserts for a bake sale or party. Serve the bars up with an Ice Cream topping for the most amazingly sweet, gooey, chewy, and creamy dessert bowl ever.
MORE COOKIE BARS
- Prep time: Turn the oven heat to 350 degrees, and spray a 9×13 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Oat mixture: Add the oats, brown sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt to a medium bowl. Whisk the dry ingredients, then add the melted butter. Stir the dough until combined. Press half of the dough into the prepared baking dish. Pop it in the oven to bake until the crust is a nice golden brown color. Set the rest of the dough to the side.
- Caramel layer: Add the soft caramel candies and milk to a heatproof bowl. Then microwave the caramel mixture at 50% power in 30-second increments until the heat melts it. Stir the caramel between each session until smooth.
- Assemble: Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the oats. Then pour the caramel layer over the chocolate layer. Use an offset spatula to smooth out the caramel layer before adding the remaining oat mixture over the top.
- Baking time: Bake for another 10 minutes, then let the bars cool completely before slicing.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
- Pecan caramel chocolate bars: To add some delicious crunch to the recipe, you can make pecan caramel chocolate bars. Just sprinkle chopped pecans over the top of the caramel layer along with the oat mixture to make the bars into pecan caramel chocolate bars.
- More add-ins: There are plenty of other mix-ins and toppings you can try. Sprinkle some salt flakes or coarse sugar on top for some sparkle. You could also add coconut flakes, broken pretzel sticks, graham cracker pieces, or peanuts. Any of them would add fun new texture and flavor to the bars.
- Chocolate: Experiment with the flavor of these chewy chocolate and caramel bars by using different kinds of chocolate. Instead of semisweet chocolate chips, you could try dark chocolate, milk chocolate, or white chocolate chips.
- Shortbread crust: If you prefer, you can use a shortbread layer instead of the oat mixture. To make the buttery crust, cream 1 cup softened butter and 1 cup sugar. Then mix in 2 egg yolks and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract. Sift in 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and ¼ teaspoon salt, and mix until just combined. Refrigerate the dough for an hour, then press the shortbread layer into the base of the pan, add the chocolate, caramel, and shortbread topping. Then bake until golden brown.
MORE CARAMEL DESSERTS
HOW TO STORE
- Serve: You can keep Chocolate Caramel Bars sealed at room temperature for up to 5 days. The recipe will be best kept in a cool place. If it’s too warm, store them in the fridge.
- Store: Kept in an airtight container, the bars will stay good in the fridge for up to a week. The chilling time will slightly harden the caramel, so bring them back to room temperature before serving.
- Freeze: You could also freeze the bars for up to 3 months. Put them in a freezer bag or another sealed container with the layers separated by wax paper or parchment paper. Let them thaw on the counter to serve.
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup brown sugar , packed
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 14 ounces chewy caramels
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking pan with baking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together oats, brown sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt until well mixed.
- Add in melted butter and stir until combined.
- Add half the mixture to the baking pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Melt caramels and milk in a microwave-safe bowl at 50% power in 30-second increments until smooth and creamy.
- Add chocolate chips to the baking pan evenly.
- Pour caramel over the chocolate chips and sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Cool completely before slicing.