Cheesy Ranch Potato Bake is the ultimate buttery, fluffy potato recipe flavored with Ranch dressing and smothered in melty cheddar cheese.
This delicious potato bake is the perfect Side Dish to serve along with Roast Chicken, Tender Ribeye Steak, or any of your other favorite dinners. The filling, cheesy potatoes round out any meal and bring tons of their own delicious flavor.
Creamy ranch, melty cheese, and fluffy potatoes, what could be better? You might have a hard time thinking of anything! This easy potato side dish gets plenty of flavors and rich texture from baking the potatoes in Ranch Dressing. Then cheddar cheese is mixed in and it’s cooked a little longer until it’s the perfect, bubbly, melty potato bake.
Sometimes nothing hits the spot like a delicious potato dish. Creamy potatoes are wonderfully filling, comforting, and pair great with cheese and other favorite toppings. The next time you’re craving a potato side dish, but want to try something outside the standard Mashed Potatoes, this mouthwatering potato bake is a flavorful and fun way to go. It will be an instant favorite with the the kids!
Along with how tasty these potatoes are, they’re also super easy to make. Once you’ve cooked the onions, all you have to do is toss the potatoes with the ranch and bake, then add the cheese right before the baking is done. It’s super easy to get the potatoes in the oven, then you can prepare the rest of your dinner while they’re baking.
- Russet Potatoes: Russet potatoes are perfect for this recipe because they turn out wonderfully fluffy after baking. However, they won’t become too watery or mushy. Plus, you probably already have some in your pantry, so there’s no need to run to the grocery store.
- Ranch Dressing: Ranch is such a popular dipping sauce. People love finding ways to incorporate it into recipes because it’s always a crowd-pleaser. In this dish, not only does the ranch add flavor, but its creamy texture helps the potato bake reach the perfect buttery, soft consistency.
- Cheese: Of course when you’re making this recipe you can’t forget the cheese topping. Cheddar cheese is perfect for melting, and it becomes gooey and stringy during the cooking time.
- Prep Time: Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees. Then dice the onion, scrub the potatoes clean, and slice them into bite-size pieces.
- Onions: Before combining the rest of the ingredients, cook the onion. Add butter to the base of a large skillet. Then cook the onion over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes. Once the onion is softened remove it from your heat.
- Combine: Add the cubed potatoes, onions, salt, pepper, and ranch dressing to a large mixing bowl. Stir the ingredients together until the potatoes are coated in the dressing. Then transfer it a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Baking Time: Cover the dish with aluminum foil and put it in the preheated oven for 60 minutes. Carefully remove the roasted potatoes from the oven and remove the foil. Then add the shredded cheddar cheese, and stir. Return the dish to the oven and cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes until the cheese melts and is golden brown.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
- Seasonings: For some extra flavor, try adding garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, and parsley.
- Toppings: There are lots of delicious toppings you can add to this Cheesy Ranch Potato Bake before serving. Chop up some cooked bacon and sprinkle the bacon bits over the top. You could also try sprinkling on some green onions or dill. For a creamy topping add a few dollops of sour cream over the potato casserole.
- Cheese: You can also add other kinds of cheese like Mozzarella cheese, Swiss, Pepper Jack, gouda, provolone, or Colby-Jack Cheese.
Dishes to Serve Alongside Cheesy Potatoes
How to Store
- Serve: Cheesy Ranch Potatoes won’t stay good at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Once the leftovers have cooled to room temperature, you can cover the casserole dish or transfer it to an airtight container to store. They’ll be good in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Freeze: To store the potatoes longer, you can seal and freeze them for 3 months.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 4 pounds russet potatoes , peeled and cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 2 cups cheddar cheese , shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the butter to a large skillet with the onions on medium-high heat and cook for 4-5 minutes until softened.
- To a large bowl add the onions, potatoes, salt, pepper, and ranch dressing and mix well then put into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 60 minutes, then remove the foil, stir in the cheese, and let cook an additional 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and slightly browned.