Ground Chicken Tacos are the ultimate easy weeknight dinner. Ready in just 15 minutes with flavorful ingredients like peppers, cumin, and taco seasoning.
If you’ve tried our other Mexican Recipes like Baked Chicken Tacos or Cheesy Tex Mex Pasta then you know how easy and delicious these dinners can be. With just a little bit of time and some classic ingredients, you’ll have a kid-friendly dish that the whole family will love!
GROUND CHICKEN TACOS
This Chicken Taco recipe is the perfect go-to dinner for nights in when you’re in a hurry. Toss together the ground chicken, bell peppers, and classic Mexican seasoning all in one pan. You can make your own Homemade Taco Seasoning or just use a store-bought version. Either way, it turns out amazing!
The total time to make the chicken is just 15 minutes, then it’s a simple matter of assembling the tacos. We made our Chicken Tacos with taco shells, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and sour cream, which turned out delicious. There are also plenty of other taco fillings you can add like black beans, avocado, jalapeno, cilantro, and salsa.
MORE GROUND CHICKEN RECIPES
You could use the same ground chicken for other family-friendly meals instead of this Ground Chicken Taco Recipe. Try mixing the Ground Chicken in a Taco Salad, Taco Casserole, or Chicken Taco Soup. This is especially great to mix things up if you have leftover chicken.
MORE HOMEMADE TACO RECIPES
GROUND CHICKEN TACO MEAL PREP
One of the best things about this ground chicken recipe is how easy it is to prep ahead of time. I love taking a few minutes to get the chicken ready on the weekend when I have time. Then on crazy weekdays when there’s barely a spare second to make anything the ground chicken is ready to go.
- Just sauté and prep the chicken recipe as usual.
- Wait for the chicken to cool down before storing it in an airtight container. You can either store it in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months. If you keep it in the freezer be sure to switch it to the fridge the night before serving Chicken tacos so it thaws out.
- Reheat the ground chicken in a skillet.
- Put the meat out with taco shells, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream, and any other taco fillings you want. Your family can assemble there own Ground Chicken Tacos for a super easy, relaxed, and delicious dinner.
VARIATIONS ON GROUND CHICKEN TACOS
- Meat: Instead of using chicken you can use the same seasoning and other ingredients to make ground beef, ground turkey, or ground pork tacos.
- Seasonings: There are plenty of different spices you can add to the meat mixture to experiment with the flavor of this chicken. Try sprinkling in some chili powder, chipotle seasoning, black pepper, garlic powder, oregano, or red pepper flakes.
- More flavor additions: Some other ingredients you can try adding to the Ground Chicken recipe are lime juice, tomato sauce, creamy salsa, cilantro, chopped jalapeno, or chopped red onion.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH GROUND CHICKEN TACOS
HOW TO STORE GROUND CHICKEN TACOS
- Serve: Don’t leave the Chicken Tacos at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: If you have leftover chicken after taco night, separate the meat from the tortillas and store the chicken in an airtight container in the fridge. It will stay good for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: You can also freeze the chicken for 2-3 months.
Ground Chicken Tacos
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Course: Dinner
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper , diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper , diced
- 1/2 cup onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning , or 1 packet
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 12 taco shells
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and onion to the skillet and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, coriander, cayenne, taco seasoning, salt, and pepper and stir.
- Add ground chicken and break it apart.
Mix in flour and cook 2-3 minutes.
Add chicken broth and raise heat to a simmer, cooking 4-5 minutes until thickened.
- Serve in the taco shells, with shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and sour cream.
Yield: 12 Servings, Amount per serving: 143 calories, Calories: 143g, Carbohydrates: 10g, Protein: 8g, Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 33mg, Sodium: 255mg, Potassium: 281mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 278g, Vitamin C: 15g, Calcium: 21g, Iron: 1g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.