Loaded Mashed Potato Meatloaf Casserole is an easy kid-friendly casserole with meatloaf base, loaded mashed potatoes, bacon and cheese baked until crispy.
When it comes to homestyle meals, you can’t go wrong with classic Meatloaf topped with Loaded Mashed Potatoes. This casserole turns a classic comfort food into a quick and easy Dinner Recipe the kids will love!
LOADED MASHED POTATO MEATLOAF CASSEROLE
Casseroles are a weeknight meals many families love to make. They are easy, the kids love them, and clean up is a breeze, since they rarely need more than a few dishes. This Loaded Mashed Potato Meatloaf Casserole is no exception and comes together with in an hour without destroying your kitchen.
This Meatloaf Casserole is like a “Cowboy Shepherd’s Pie”. Fluffy mashed potatoes that have been loaded with cheese, bacon topping a classic meatloaf recipe, all the flavors kids love! Plus calling it a Cowboy Meatloaf Casserole gets kids to gobble it down.
Here’s the filling with it’s classic meatloaf base:
Many recipes for Loaded Potato Casserole call for instant mashed potatoes, but I like to use my Easy Mashed Potatoes. They are so quick to make, they will be done by the time the meatloaf layer is done cooking. If you still want to use instant mashed potatoes, I’ve included a quick recipe below to give them lots of flavor.
This is a great one pan meal (after it has been prepped) that travels well so you can take it for potlucks, or make ahead of time for an easy meal for the babysitter to pop in the oven. We like to serve it with Dinner Rolls and a side of Green Beans for well-rounded meal during the week.
Can you make this ahead of time?
Follow the recipe as usual but do not broil. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and foil before storing in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To serve, remove plastic wrap and cover again with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until warm. Switch to broil for 3 to 5 minutes to brown cheese.
MORE DELICIOUS CASSEROLE RECIPES
Can you make Loaded Potato Meatloaf Casserole in a Slow Cooker?
Start by baking meatloaf layer as usual, or cook ingredients (except for egg) in a skillet like a Sloppy Joes. Transfer cooked meat to the slow cooker. Mix 1/2 bacon and fried onions with mashed potatoes. Spread potatoes over meat, then cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Sprinkle remaining bacon and onions on top, then cheese. Cover and cook 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted.
VARIATIONS ON LOADED POTATO MEATLOAF CASSEROLE
- Ground Meat: Substitute ground turkey, chicken, pork, or even lamb for for a different flavor. Using ground lamb would make this a simple, delicious Easter Dinner.
- Veggies: Add a layer of cooked frozen veggies like corn or peas and carrots, over the meatloaf layer. Or add a layer of sautéed mushrooms, onions, or bell peppers.
- Southwestern: Season your ground beef with Taco Seasoning. Stir in a can of drained green chiles either into your meat or your mashed potatoes and top with Monterey Jack cheese. Serve with sour cream and Salsa.
- Potatoes: Instead of Idaho potatoes, try using Mashed Sweet Potatoes or mashing other favorites like Yukon Gold or Red Skin potatoes.
- Low Carb: Make a Keto Loaded Potato Meatloaf Casserole with a quick and easy mashed cauliflower. Microwave 1 large bag of frozen cauliflower in a large bowl until hot. Add 8 ounces softened cream cheese and blend until mashed potato consistency.
MORE FUN FAMILY FAVORITE RECIPES
HOW TO STORE LOADED POTATO MEATLOAF CASSEROLE
- Serve: This casserole will stay good at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
- Store: Wrap tightly or transfer to an airtight container before storing for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Freeze: Cool the casserole completely before freezing in a sealed container. Allow to thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Loaded Potato Meatloaf Casserole
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 12 minutes
- Cook Time: 43 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Course: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
Loaded Mashed Potato Meatloaf Casserole is an easy, kid-friendly casserole with a meatloaf base topped with a loaded mashed potatoes with bacon and cheese baked until crispy.
- 1 1/2 pounds Ground Beef , (85/15)
- 1/4 yellow onion , finely chopped
- 2/3 cup seasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg , lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 pounds potatoes , peeled and cut into 1" chunks
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup bacon bits , cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large bowl, gently combine beef, onion, breadcrumbs, milk, egg, salt and pepper then press into a 9x9 baking dish.
Bake uncovered for 15 minutes, then remove and drain any excess fat.
Adjust oven temperature to broil and place oven rack 6 to 8 inches from heat source.
While the meatloaf is cooking add potatoes with just enough water to cover to a pot and bring to a boil on high heat. Cook for 15 minutes.
Drain the water and add the milk, butter, salt and pepper mashing it all together until creamy.
Spread over the meatloaf and top with cheese and bacon.
Bake for and additional 15 minutes, until bacon is sizzling and cheese is bubbling and the mashed potatoes are slightly crispy.
Yield: 6 servings, Amount per serving: 498 calories, Calories: 498g, Carbohydrates: 15g, Protein: 29g, Fat: 36g, Saturated Fat: 17g, Cholesterol: 134mg, Sodium: 1188mg, Potassium: 351mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 630g, Vitamin C: 1g, Calcium: 227g, Iron: 2g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.