Meatball Sub Sandwiches make the perfect crowd-pleasing meal. Tasty meatballs in marinara sauce are topped with melty cheese and served in toasty rolls.
If you usually get Meatball Subs from sub shops, you’ll be blown away by how easy this Sandwich Recipe is to make from scratch. You can heat up frozen meatballs, but the recipe for super easy homemade Meatballs are included in this post. You can also take a little extra time to make Homemade Marinara Sauce for an even more authentic Italian flavor.
Meatball Subs are one of the most satisfying meals ever! Juicy meatballs in tomato sauce with melted cheese all inside of buttery bread, it simply doesn’t get better than that. It’s comfort food at its finest.
Best of all, Meatball Subs are easy to make. Even though this recipe uses homemade meatballs, it still only takes 25 minutes to make, and the instructions are wonderfully easy to follow. Just combine the meat, breadcrumbs, seasonings, and other ingredients to make the meatballs, and pop them in the oven to cook. Other than that, it’s a simple matter of heating up the sauce, toasting the hoagie rolls, and assembling the tasty Sub Sandwiches.
This post has a basic recipe for delicious Italian meatballs. However, you could make a meatball sandwich like this one with a variety of different kinds of meatballs. Try the same recipe out with Bacon Meatballs, Porcupine Meatballs, or Jalapeno Meatballs for some new flavors in this classic sandwich.
More Sandwich Recipes
Tips for Making the Perfect Meatball Sub
- Prep time: To get ready to make the meatballs, preheat the oven and line your baking dish with parchment paper.
- Meatballs: Add the ground beef, bread crumbs, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, fresh parsley, Parmesan cheese, and a beaten egg to a mixing bowl. Next, mix the meatball ingredients together. Then, use your hands to form the meatball mixture into 12 meatballs. Place each of them on the prepared baking sheet, and bake them for 15-18 minutes.
- Bread: Put butter in a microwave-safe bowl to melt it, and then whisk in garlic salt. Use a serrated knife to cut the hoagie rolls open, and brush them with the melted butter on the inside. Bake the rolls for 5 minutes, right in the same oven the as the meatball.
- Sauce: Add the cooked meatballs and tomato sauce to a saucepan over medium heat. Just take it off the heat once the sauce is heated through.
- Assemble: Lay 2 slices of provolone cheese over each hoagie roll, and top them off with 3 meatballs and some marinara sauce. Sprinkle them with extra parmesan cheese and close the hoagies to finish.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
Variations on Meatball Sub Sandwiches
- Mozzarella Cheese: You can replace the slices of provolone cheese in the sandwich with Mozzarella cheese if you prefer.
- Bread: Try out different kinds of bread to make a Meatball Sandwich. Italian, French Bread, or any other crusty breads will work very nicely. You can even use toasted slider rolls if you want mini meatball sandwiches for a party.
- Seasonings: There are so many different spices and herbs you can add to the meatball recipe. Garlic powder, oregano, onion powder, rosemary, basil, or Italian Seasoning will go great with the other flavors, for instance.
- Add-ins: To add some extra sandwich fillings in your Meatball Subs, adding roasted onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, or tomatoes would be delicious.
More Italian Dishes
How to Store Meatball Subs Sandwiches
- Serve: Don’t leave Meatball Subs at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Unfortunately the sauce will make the hoagie rolls soggy if you try to store the whole sandwich together. You can, however, remove the meatballs from the sandwich and store them in an airtight container in the fridge. They’ll stay good in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: You can also seal and freeze meatballs for up to 4 months.
- 1 pound ground beef (85/15)
- 3/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes , optional
- 2 tablespoons parsley , chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg , beaten
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 8 slices Provolone Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese , optional for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix the ground beef, breadcrumbs, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, parsley, Parmesan Cheese, and egg.
- Roll into 12 meatballs and place onto baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Add melted butter and garlic salt to a small bowl and stir.
- Brush butter over the inside of the hoagie rolls.
- Bake for 5 minutes (preferably while meatballs are cooking).
- Add meatballs and marinara sauce to a small saucepan and heat through.
- Add 2 Provolone slices to the hoagie roll, top each roll with three meatballs, some marinara sauce and additional grated Parmesan cheese if desired.