S’mores Brownies are the perfect summery treat with no bonfire!
S’mores Brownies are easy to make and will have you forgetting that we are quickly approaching the end of summer. They’re a breeze to make and share and since you are using large marshmallows that are added into the brownies at the end of baking they won’t melt and disappear into the batter.
The S’mores Brownies are made with a layer of graham crackers as the base because as they cook the batter will moisten the graham crackers until they also have a soft cake-like texture. The graham crackers on top are tossed with melted butter because it helps keep them moist and rich even though they’re not protected by the brownie batter (and let’s face it they taste AMAZING crisped up in melted butter).
S’mores Brownies may not be the most classic version of s’mores you will enjoy this summer, but you can make 18 servings at once, you’re not going to give yourself a second degree burn handling molten marshmallows and you won’t need to figure out how to clean liquid chocolate out of your toddler’s clothing.
Did I mention graham crackers tossed in butter and crisped? It’s like the best graham cracker crust you always eat from your cheesecake first or yell at your husband/wife for stealing when they take a bite of your dessert.
They also contain two types of chocolate chips; dark chocolate in the brownies to create a really rich brownie base and milk chocolate chips on top to provide the classic S’mores Brownies flavor you expect.
Need some more S’mores in your life?
You can never have too many S’mores Brownies or cupcakes but you can rest assured you’ll easily be able to enjoy them all year long.
Tools used in this Cookie Dough Brownies recipe:
9×13 Baking Pan – The straight edges and even cooking of this pan is ideal for bars and brownies.
Stand Mixer – The classic stand mixer, it’s always a huge help to get things mixed a heck of a lot faster. Plus, that blue! <3
Hand Mixer – For smaller jobs you don’t want to pull the large mixture out for this hand mixer is a breeze
Dark Chocolate Chips – My favorite dark chocolate chips, I keep them on hand in volume! More and more stores carry the brand now too, so when mine has a sale I buy 3 or 4 bags of every flavor. (Sometimes I can even get them for LESS than Nestle)
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – This cocoa powder gives an amazing, dark, rich chocolate flavor. I also highly recommend the Trader Joe’s Brand of cocoa powder.
Milk Chocolate Chips – The perfect flavor for the tops of these brownies and the authentic s’mores flavor.
For more information about how I source my Guittard chocolate chips and for the best possible price (~$2.00 a bag) and save a ton of money on them you can read my long rant about chocolate chip prices on my Sprinkles Blondies post. The links above to Amazon are meant to be informational for those chocolate chips, you can definitely get them locally for less.
- Yield: 18 Brownies
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Dinner, then Dessert
- 3/4 cup butter , melted
- 2 1/4 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (You can use any type of chocolate chips you'd like)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 12 sheets of graham crackers
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 16 large marshmallows
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour or use baking spray a 13x9 pan.
- In a large bowl, add the butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs.
- Add in the cocoa powder, chocolate chips and salt and whisk until well combined.
- Add in the flour and whisk until just combined (don't overwhisk).
- Line the bottom of the greased pan with graham crackers.
- Don't worry if there is small amounts of space in between.
- Pour the batter over the graham crackers.
- Break the remaining graham crackers in pieces about 2 inches in size.
- Toss very gently with the 2 tablespoons of melted butter and carefully place into the top of the brownie batter all over the pan.
- Sprinkle on the milk chocolate chips.
Bake about 25-28 minutes or just until done in the center.
- Remove from the oven and lightly press the marshmallows into the top of the brownies.
- Turn the oven onto broil.
Place in the top rack and watch it very closely for 30-45 seconds or until just browning.
- Remove and cool on a rack until no longer hot.
Yield: 18 Brownies, Amount per serving: 419 calories, Calories: 419g, Carbohydrates: 68g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 15g, Saturated Fat: 9g, Cholesterol: 51mg, Sodium: 281mg, Potassium: 156mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 47g, Vitamin A: 325g, Vitamin C: 0.1g, Calcium: 56g, Iron: 1.7g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.