Yellow Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting are easy to make with an easy tender cake base and rich, fluffy, creamy frosting. Perfect for a Birthday!
This Dessert Recipe is wonderfully simple, but turns out delicious every time! It’s the cupcake version of Classic Yellow Cake. But, it’s great to serve a crowd because there’s no need to slice it up.
YELLOW CUPCAKES WITH CHOCOLATE FROSTING
This Yellow Cupcake recipe is the ultimate, easy, moist cake. It comes together with simple pantry ingredients and is full of sweet vanilla flavor. Then the vanilla cupcakes are topped off with rich Chocolate Buttercream Frosting, which gives a wonderful contrast of chocolate and vanilla in every single bite.
If you’re looking for the perfect recipe to make for a bake sale or party then these fluffy cupcakes are the way to go! Not only are they easy to make, but the simple cupcake with chocolate frosting is a basic dessert recipe that practically everyone will love. In fact, you might want to double up the recipe to make 24 cupcakes because these tasty cakes will go fast!
You can make this recipe into Birthday party cupcakes by topping the chocolate icing off with rainbow sprinkles and candles. Piping the frosting on in a swirling pattern and adding some colorful toppings is an easy way to make the cupcakes look festive without a lot of extra work. They’re sure to be a favorite with all your guests.
MORE CUPCAKE RECIPES
TIPS FOR MAKING YELLOW CUPCAKES WITH CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- Prep: Preheat your oven, and line a cupcake tin with paper cupcake liners so that they’re ready to go when the batter is done. Also, make sure to take the butter out of the fridge a little in advance so that it has time to soften.
- Cupcake batter: Add the softened butter and sugar to your stand mixer and whisk until it’s light and fluffy. This should take 1-2 minutes. Then mix in the eggs, vanilla extract, and milk for about 30 seconds. In a separate medium bowl sift the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt together. Then add the dry ingredients to the stand mixer. Mix them together at the lowest speed to make sure the flour doesn’t get all over the kitchen.
- No stand mixer: If you don’t have a stand mixer, you can put the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and use a handheld electric mixer to combine them.
- Baking time: Use an ice cream scoop to fill up each cupcake tin about 2/3 full. Bake the Yellow Cupcakes for 20-22 minutes. Stick a toothpick in the center of a cupcake. If it comes out clean they’re done baking. Give the cupcakes time to cool to room temperature before you add the frosting.
- Chocolate buttercream frosting: Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and whisk in the natural cocoa powder. Take the chocolate mixture from the heat and let it cool. Add it to the stand mixer and whip at medium speed. Then add the powdered sugar and the milk ⅓ cup at a time. Once all the milk and sugar is in, add the vanilla. If the frosting is too thick, add extra milk until it reaches the right consistency.
- Decorate: Put the chocolate frosting in a piping bag and swirl it over the cooled cupcakes. Add sprinkles or any other toppings if you want them before serving.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON YELLOW CUPCAKES WITH CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- Frostings: You can try out other kinds of frostings for your cupcakes. Some great frostings to try on yellow cakes are Cream Cheese Frosting, Classic Buttercream Frosting, or Peanut Butter Swirl Frosting.
- Mix-ins: There are plenty of mix-ins you can try adding to your homemade cupcakes like chocolate chips, M&Ms, Reese’s pieces, or berries.
- Toppings: You can also try different kinds of toppings. Sprinkle on coconut flakes, sea salt, pretzel pieces, sprinkles, or mini marshmallows to the top of the icing. Or, drizzle Caramel over the top.
MORE CAKE RECIPES
HOW TO STORE YELLOW CUPCAKES WITH CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- Serve: You can keep any leftover cupcakes at room temperature for 1-2 days. Let them cool, then put them in an airtight container or cover them to make sure they stay moist.
- Store: To keep them in the fridge, put them in an airtight container. They’ll keep well for 3-5 days.
- Freeze: Freeze the cupcakes for up to 3 months. Because of the frosting, you don’t want to stack them on top of each other. Store them in a single layer, so they stay nicely formed.
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 12 cup muffin tray with liner cups.
- To a stand mixer add the butter and sugar and cream until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in eggs, vanilla extract, and milk until well combined, about 30 seconds.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt and add to the stand mixer on the lowest speed setting until just combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop fill the cups 2/3 full and bake for 20-22 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and whisk in the cocoa powder then remove from the heat and let cool.
- Add the cooled chocolate mixer to your stand mixer and whip on medium speed adding the powdered sugar and milk, alternating them ⅓ at a time, and finally add the vanilla in last.
- If the frosting is too thick, add a bit more milk.
- Add frosting to a piping bag and pipe onto completely cooled cupcakes.