Just a couple of days until the holiday weekend and we are in full planning mode for our July 4th BBQ Party! Desserts are being made, side dishes planned. Lots of deliciousness abound! These BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches are one of the 3 main proteins we will be serving. Sweet and Tangy BBQ sauce drenched chicken, topped with Cole Slaw and served in a delicious Sweet Hawaiian Bun. Who wouldn’t be in a celebratory mood with a meal like that?!
To make the chicken you can choose a variety of methods. First, for any method you choose, season with salt and pepper.
- Put in the slow cooker using my Crispy Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe
- Roast in the oven, skin side up, at 425 degrees for 25 minutes
- Grill and chop (not really a pulled chicken, but still delicious.
- Braise in the bbq sauce in a low 250 degree oven for 2 hours.
Remove skin and bones and gently pull chicken apart with a fork. Mix with BBQ Sauce. I use my favorite Tony Roma’s Original BBQ Sauce recipe for it. If you are looking for a ready-made BBQ sauce to try? Our favorite is Bone Suckin’ Sauce.
Brush melted butter on the inside of the buns and put face down on a griddle or in a 375 degree oven for 5-7 minutes until browned. I use my Sweet Hawaiian Bread and Buns for almost all sandwiches and burgers in our house. Yup, we eat well. And we work out like mad to make up for it too! Which you also see glimpses of in my Instagram! 😉
Top bottom of the bun with 1/2 cup of BBQ chicken mixture, then 1/3 a cup of cole slaw. I use my favorite Tony Roma’s Cole Slaw recipe.If you are going to make these ahead of time, you can add a leaf of lettuce to the top and bottom bun before you add the chicken and cole slaw. It will help prevent sogginess from setting in.
- Put salt and pepper in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Put the thighs in, skin side up
- Season with more salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for 7 hours.
- Remove skin and bones and gently pull chicken apart with a fork.
- Mix with BBQ Sauce.
- Brush melted butter on the inside of the buns and put face down on a griddle or in a 375 degree oven for 5-7 minutes until browned.
- Top bottom of the bun with ½ cup of BBQ chicken mixture, then ⅓ a cup of cole slaw.
- If you are going to make these ahead of time, you can add a leaf of lettuce to the top and bottom bun before you add the chicken and cole slaw. It will help prevent sogginess from setting in.
And now, a rundown of our 4th of July BBQ Party Menu in case you are planning your own BBQ and want some menu help!
Raspberry Honey Mustard Pretzel Dip poured over a block of room temperature cream cheese.
Sweet Hawaiian Buns for the burgers and the sandwiches on this page!
Hope you got some menu ideas or inspirations!! Have a fantastic, SAFE, 4th of July! Tune in tomorrow if you are not too busy partying for another delicious recipe!