Baked Salmon with Dill Sauce is simple, flavorful, tender and flaky with zesty mayo and sour cream dill sauce ready in less than 30 minutes.
Seafood recipes are a great way to change up your Weeknight Dinner rotation with an easy, flavorful, and healthy dish. For more seafood options try our Old Bay Roasted Shrimp, Fish Tacos, or Shrimp Scampi Pasta.
BAKED SALMON WITH DILL SAUCE
This roasted salmon recipe is bursting with bright flavor. It’s easy to cook in the oven. Then all you have to do is add a creamy dill sauce to give it the bold flavor that you won’t be able to get enough of. If you’re looking for an easy dinner, then this 30-minute juicy salmon is the way to go!
The fresh dill and lemon in the sauce are the perfect ingredients to bring out the best flavors in this simple salmon recipe. Dill has a refreshing and slightly earthy flavor that tastes amazing but doesn’t overpower the salmon. Plus, the sauce is super easy to whip together in just a few minutes while the fish is cooking.
When it comes to side dishes for this meal, it’s okay to keep it super simple. The Baked Salmon with Dill Sauce has a bold enough flavor that will balance out nicely with more plain pairings. Try it with simple Brown Rice, or Salt and Vinegar Potatoes for a filling and starchy dish. Then for your vegetables try something easy like Sautéed Green Beans or Roasted Root Vegetables.
SEAFOOD DINNER RECIPES
KEY INGREDIENTS IN BAKED SALMON WITH DILL SAUCE
- Lemon slices: Before cooking, it’s important to season the salmon filets with salt and pepper, and top them off with lemon slices. Not only do the lemon slices add a vibrant flavor, but they also help keep the meat moist and tender.
- Creamy sauce: The sour cream and mayonnaise are the perfect creamy base for the dill sauce ingredients. They have a fairly simple flavor that doesn’t overpower the other ingredients, but the sour cream also adds a nice amount of tanginess to the sauce.
- Lemon/Dill: The fresh dill and lemon juice bring the perfect amount of citrusy taste to the sauce. It’s a fresh and delicious flavor that complements the rich salmon for a bright, summery taste.
FAQ ABOUT BAKED SALMON WITH DILL SAUCE
Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees and spraying the baking dish with vegetable oil to stop the salmon from sticking to the pan. To prepare the fresh salmon for baking, season the fillets with salt and pepper. Then place them on the prepared sheet and top them with lemon slices.
Cover the baking sheet with foil, and put the dish in the preheated oven. Covering the dish in aluminum foil is important because it traps the moisture for tender and flakey salmon. Salmon is at a safe temperature to eat when the internal temperature has reached 145 degrees. It should only take 15-18 minutes.
Towards the end of the baking time, combine the sauce ingredients. Add the sour cream, mayo, fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, minced garlic cloves, dill, salt, and pepper to a medium bowl. Then whisk the creamy lemon dill sauce until smooth. Take the salmon from the oven and top the individual filets with sauce before serving.
An easy way to make this baked salmon recipe healthier is by replacing the sour cream with Greek yogurt. It has a similar tangy flavor but is lower in calories and fat. Make sure to use plain yogurt so that there aren’t any extra flavors in the sauce that won’t go well with the salmon.
For a bolder, savory taste whisk in 1-2 tablespoons mustard sauce with the mayo and sour cream to top off the Dill Salmon recipe.
You can also add seasonings like paprika, red pepper flakes, thyme, and rosemary.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BAKED SALMON WITH DILL SAUCE
HOW TO STORE BAKED SALMON WITH DILL SAUCE
- Serve: Don’t leave cooked salmon at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Once the dish has cooled, you can transfer the salmon and dill cream sauce to an airtight container to store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freeze: Salmon can also stay good frozen for 6 months. However, the cream sauce will separate if you freeze and thaw it. For easy storage, remove any sauce from the salmon and make fresh lemon dill sauce when you reheat the dish.
- 4 salmon filets , about 6 ounces each
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 lemons , deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter , thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill weed , chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
- Season fish with salt, black pepper, and lemon slices.
- Top thinly sliced butter over the fish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15-18 minutes.
- While salmon is baking make the dill sauce.
- Mix sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, dill, salt, and black pepper.
- Serve over baked salmon.