BBQ Beef Cornbread Pie is an easy casserole dinner recipe the whole family will love! BBQ ground beef topped with quick and tasty cornbread from scratch!
BBQ BEEF CORNBREAD CASSEROLE
What do you get when you top BBQ Beef Sloppy Joes with Homemade Cornbread? An amazing southern tamale pie, that’s easy to throw together and pop in the oven, ready in just one hour. Make BBQ Beef Cornbread Pie even easier and bake it in the dutch oven instead of transferring to baking dish. You won’t be able to store it as easy in the pot, but it’s so delicious you may not have leftovers!
BBQ Beef Cornbread Pie is an easy, kid-friendly casserole dinner that’s perfect for busy weeknights or taking to potlucks. You can easily double the recipe and make two casseroles at once, freezing one for later with our make ahead instructions. For a quick, weeknight dinner, serve BBQ Beef Cornbread Pie with Roasted Broccoli or Sautéed Green Beans. Garnish with toppings like sour cream, Ranch Dressing, more BBQ sauce, and green onions.
MORE DELICIOUS CASSEROLE RECIPES
BBQ Beef Cornbread Pie with Leftovers
BBQ Beef Cornbread Pie can be an easy and tasty leftover turkey recipe during the holidays! Just swap the ground beef with shredded leftover Roast Turkey. Cook the onions and peppers until soft, simmer in the barbecue sauce and tomato mixture, then add the shredded turkey at the end. Layer and bake as usual.
Make Ahead BBQ Beef Cornbread Pie
Brown ground beef with onions and bell peppers, cooking until no pink remains. Drain fat, add barbecue sauce and tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes. Spread beef mixture in an oven and freezer safe casserole dish. Cool completely. Top with cheese and cornbread mixture. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and cover with foil or lid, and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to cook, remove plastic wrap, re-cover with foil, and bake from frozen at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON BBQ BEEF CORNBREAD PIE
- Cornbread Topping: Add ingredients like cooked bacon, diced jalapeños or green chiles, or cheese to the cornbread topping. For a Southern BBQ Beef Cornbread Pie, use this Martha White Cornbread recipe!
- Filling: You can add frozen veggies or canned beans to your BBQ Beef filling to make it more hearty or for a Tex-Mex flavor. Try corn, green beans, carrots, black beans, or kidney beans. Rinse and drain canned beans before adding.
- BBQ Sauce: Use store bought BBQ sauce or try our any of our tasty, easy homemade BBQ sauces like Memphis BBQ Sauce, Kansas City BBQ, Dr. Pepper BBQ Sauce, or Root Beer BBQ Sauce.
- Meat: Swap ground beef for ground pork, ground turkey, or ground chicken, adding a tablespoon of oil with leaner meats. Use our leftover turkey recipe above with leftover Beef Brisket or Roasted Chicken too!
- Cornbread Mix: Use a box of cornbread mix instead of the dry ingredients. Prepare to package instructions or use egg and butter. You can also use refrigerated cornbread muffins! Bake as usual until topping is cooked and golden brown.
Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Cornbread Pie
- Cook beef, onions, and bell peppers in a skillet until no pink left and veggies are soft.
- Drain fat and add beef mixture to the slow cooker.
- Stir in barbecue sauce and diced tomatoes.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Prepare cornbread mixture and spread evenly over cheese layer.
- Cover slow cooker with lid and cook on low for 5-6 hours, until toothpick inserted into cornbread comes out clean.
MORE FUN FAMILY FAVORITE RECIPES
HOW TO STORE BBQ BEEF CORNBREAD PIE
- Serve: BBQ Beef Cornbread Pie can be at room temperature for up to 2 hours before it should be stored in the refrigerator.
- Store: Wrap BBQ Beef Cornbread Pie dish tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Bake in the oven to reheat all at once or microwave individual portions.
- Freeze: Cover BBQ Beef Cornbread Pie with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil, then freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat from frozen, or thaw in the refrigerator overnight first, in the oven at 325 degrees until hot.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 yellow onion , chopped
- 1 green bell pepper , chopped
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter , melted
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9x9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine the beef, onion and bell pepper in a large dutch oven on medium heat and cook for 5-6 minutes until browned and cooked through and drain any fat.
- Add in the barbecue sauce and tomato sauce and bring to a boil before reducing to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix the cornbread topping. Add the cornmeal, milk, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, egg and butter to a bowl and whisk well together.
- In the baking dish layer beef mixture then the shredded cheese and top with the cornbread mixture. Bake for 30-35 minutes.