Ground Chicken Stir Fry is a tasty, healthy twist on Hunan Chicken! Chicken and veggie stir fry in an easy, delicious garlicky sauce, ready in only 20 minutes!
GROUND CHICKEN STIR FRY
One of the easiest ways to lighten up a favorite Asian take-out recipe is to swap out the wok-fried chicken for ground chicken. You can still get the crispy browned edges on ground meat crumbles with a fraction of the fat. Since this Ground Hunan Chicken Stir Fry recipe has veggies, you can serve it on it’s own as a low carb meal or pair with any your favorite Chinese Dishes!
Ground Chicken Stir Fry is a light main dish that doesn’t taste “healthy”, aka it’s packed with those delicious Chinese stir fry flavors you love. The simple sauce for this lighter Hunan chicken recipe is a spicy, salty, sweet flavor that you can easily alter with what you have on hand.
The best way to make Ground Chicken Stir Fry is in a wok, so you can get that crispy browned edges without burning or overcooking the chicken. A large cast iron skillet is the next best thing to a wok if you don’t have one on hand. You want to the skillet is big enough to keep veggies and chicken layering too thick, but not so large that the heat doesn’t reach the edges of your the pan.
All the classic Chinese takeout side dishes like Steamed Rice, Chow Mein, and Chinese Fried Rice would taste delicious with Ground Stir Fry Chicken. You could serve it as the filling in Lettuce Wraps for a healthy, low carb dinner. Use leftover Ground Hunan Chicken instead of grilled chicken in Light Chinese Chicken Salad for an easy, tasty lunch.
Make a delicious, healthy meal prep that can easily be doubled (or tripled) then frozen for up to 2 months. In 2-cup freezer safe containers, layer Brown Rice, Super Greens, and Ground Chicken Stir Fry. Make extra sauce and divide a few tablespoons in snack-size zipper plastic bags, squeezing out any air. Top bowls with baggie of sauce, seal lid, and freeze. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating in the microwave.
GROUND CHINESE FOOD RECIPES:
VARIATIONS ON GROUND CHICKEN STIR FRY
- Meat: Swap out the ground chicken with ground turkey, ground pork, lean ground beef, or a mixture of ground meats. You could also reheat leftover Grilled Chicken in the sauce and veggies!
- Veggies: Add any of your favorite stir-fry veggies like zucchini, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, broccoli, snow peas, shredded carrots, or cabbage to your Ground Hunan Chicken.
- Oyster Sauce: If you don’t have any oyster sauce on hand (or have a shellfish allergy), use 3 tablespoons soy sauce and 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce. You could also swap hoisin sauce or teriyaki sauce for oyster sauce.
- Spices: Try a tablespoon or two of a favorite Asian spice blend, Chinese 5 Spice. Make an easy version of it with fennel, peppercorns (preferably Szechuan), cinnamon, ground cloves and star anise all ground together.
More Delicious Chinese Food Recipes You NEED to make:
HOW TO STORE GROUND CHICKEN STIR FRY
- Serve: You can keep Ground Chicken Stir Fry at room temperature for up to 2 hours before it needs to be stored.
- Store: Refrigerate Ground Hunan Chicken Stir Fry in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat in a skillet for the best taste and to keep the veggies crisp.
- Freeze: Cool Ground Chicken Stir Fry completely, place in a sealed container, and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Ground Chicken Stir Fry
- Yield: 4
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: Asian
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger , minced
- 1 green bell pepper , chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper , chopped
- 1 onion , chopped
- 8 ounces water chestnuts , drained and diced
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
In a small bowl mix the sauce ingredients together.
To a large pan add 1 tablespoon oil, ground chicken and diced water chestnuts.
Cook until a good crust forms before breaking apart, then finish cooking by breaking it apart with a spatula and cooking for an additional 2-3 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the pan and add in the garlic, ginger, bell peppers, and onion.
Stir, cooking for 2-3 minutes.
Add in the sauce and chicken and toss to coat, cooking 1-2 more minutes until the sauce has thickened.
Yield: 4 , Amount per serving: 271 calories, Calories: 271g, Carbohydrates: 18g, Protein: 22g, Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 98mg, Sodium: 697mg, Potassium: 876mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 5g, Vitamin A: 170g, Vitamin C: 85g, Calcium: 26g, Iron: 2g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.