Oreo Chunk Brookies are the best of both worlds with an crispy oreo chunk cookie top and rich chewy dark chocolate brownie bottom.
If you aren’t a fan of dark chocolate you can swap in a semisweet chocolate instead of a milk chocolate which wouldn’t really add enough flavor to your brownie base. With all the cocoa powder in recipe and the Oreo flavors on top a milk chocolate would sort of get lost in the mix.
The Oreo Chunk Brookies may seem like a lot of work and a lot of ingredients, but the flavors and the textures are reminiscent of a high end bakery treat. You’d be the hit of any party you brought these to.
MORE DELICIOUS OREO RECIPES
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON OREO BROOKIES
- Cookie Dough: A quick hack instead of making your own cookie dough for the top half would be to use store bought refrigerated cookie dough with lots of added Oreo chunks or add the Oreo bits to our Sugar Cookies or Peanut Butter Cookies.
- Chocolate Chips: Swap out the semisweet chocolate chips for white chocolate chips, this will add to the Oreo creme flavors in the recipe.
- Nuts: Add chopped walnuts, almonds, or pecans to the brownie batter for a nutty, crunchy brownie layer.
- Brownie Mix: Use a box mix or a refrigerated brownie dough for the bottom layer to speed things up. For richer box brownies, use butter instead of oil and add an extra egg.
- Brownie Batter: Use another Brownie Recipe instead of chocolate brownie mix. Peanut Butter Brownies would be a great mashup with Oreo flavors, .
Brookies for everyone!
HOW TO STORE OREO COOKIE BROOKIES
- Serve: These Oreo Brookies can kept at room temperature for up to 4 days. Cover and keep in a cool dry place.
- Store: Store your cookie bars the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week. Use parchment paper if layering so they don’t stick.
- Freeze: Cool completely before transferring to a freezer safe sealed container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Tools used in the making of these Oreo Chunk Brookies:
9×13 Baking Pan – The straight edges and even cooking of this pan is ideal for bars and brownies.
Dark Chocolate Chips – My favorite dark chocolate chips, I keep them on hand in volume! More and more stores carry the brand now too, so when mine has a sale I buy 3 or 4 bags of every flavor. (Sometimes I can even get them for LESS than Nestle)
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – This cocoa powder gives an amazing, dark, rich chocolate flavor. I also highly recommend the Trader Joe’s Brand of cocoa powder.
For the Brownie Base:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 1/4 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease or use baking spray on a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer add melted butter (let it cool for just a minute or so), sugar, eggs, and vanilla and whisk together until well combined.
- Add the cocoa powder and salt to the bowl and mix well.
- Add in the flour and chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
- Using a spatula, pour into the bottom of your pan and spread. (I scrape out as much as I can so I can just reuse the bowl for the oreo layer - yes laziness, but also they are going to be stacked on top of one another anyway, why create more mess?)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Make the second layer while the first layer is cooking.
- Melt two thirds of the white chocolate chips and butter in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments until fully melted.
- Whisk until fully combined and allow to cool.
- In your stand mixer beat the eggs until they're foamy, then add the sugar and vanilla until fully combined.
- Add in the cooled white chocolate mixture, then the flour and salt.
- Fold in the Oreo chunks and the remaining one-third of the white chocolate chips.
- Using a large spoon or your hands, drop chunks of oreo chunk cookie dough gently over the brownie layer.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the dough is just set and not very jiggly.
- Cool completely before cutting into 32 servings.