Cookies and Cream Cupcakes perfectly combine rich, tender, vanilla cake and everybody’s favorite store-bought cookie. Ready in 30 minutes and perfect for parties!
Just like our classic Oreo Cake, these Cookies and Cream Oreo Cupcakes are topped with Oreo buttercream frosting, making an extra sweet and creamy Dessert Recipe that’s sure to be an instant favorite.
COOKIES AND CREAM CUPCAKES
Along with the Oreo frosting, chunks of cookies are also mixed into the batter of each fluffy cupcake. The broken cookies add a delightful texture to the cupcakes. Along with that, the cream filling brings some more sweetness and a little extra moisture to the already moist, fluffy cupcake base.
Since they were first developed in 1912, Oreos have become a favorite American treat and a staple in baking so many delicious desserts. You can use them to add flavor to Cheesecake, Rice Krispies Treats, Fudge, these yummy cupcakes, and so many other recipes. They’re a favorite with kids and adults alike, making recipes like this one an instant crowd-pleaser.
This Oreo Cupcake recipe is great to make for a bake sale, potluck, or even birthday party. If you have more than 12 people to serve, you may want to double the batch and make them in two cupcake pans. Just be prepared for them to get gobbled up quickly because this has become a favorite cupcake recipe with everyone who’s tried them so far.
MORE CUPCAKE RECIPES
TIPS FOR MAKING COOKIES AND CREAM CUPCAKES
- Prep time: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line your cupcake tins with paper liners. Then put the cookies in a blender to break them into crumbs, and set them to the side.
- Cupcake batter: Put the butter in a microwave-safe dish to melt it in the microwave. Whisk the eggs in before adding the rest of the wet ingredients. Beat the ingredients at medium-high speed until smooth, then fold in the Oreos.
- Baking time: Use a large ice cream scooper to fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full. Bake for 20-22 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Icing: Add softened butter to a stand mixer or mixing bowl. Cream butter at low speed, and add confectioners sugar in ½ cup increments as you go. Once the mixture is combined raise the speed, and mix for an additional minute. Add the vanilla and heavy cream. Continue mixing for another minute until light and fluffy. Mix in the cookie crumbs until they’re well distributed. Use a spatula to transfer buttercream from the bowl into a piping bag. Pipe frosting over cupcakes to finish.
VARIATIONS ON COOKIES AND CREAM CUPCAKES
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Instead of using buttercream you can add some tangy cream cheese flavor to the cupcake base with easy Cream Cheese Icing.
- Oreo cookie filling: You can use whole Oreos as a surprising filling for these already-amazing Cookies and Cream Cupcakes. Instead of mixing crumbs into the batter, pour half the batter into the muffin cup. Then place a whole Oreo over the top, and pour the remaining batter on top of that to finish.
- Fluffy Chocolate Cupcakes: Instead of vanilla, you could make moist Rich Chocolate Cupcakes and whisk Oreo crumbs into it for a cookies-and-cream-style dessert.
- Oreos: One of the best things about Oreo cookies is how many different varieties there are. Try making the same recipe with red velvet, mint, peanut butter, cake batter, or chocolate Oreos.
MORE OREO DESSERTS
HOW TO STORE COOKIES AND CREAM CUPCAKES
- Serve: After making the cakes from scratch, they’ll be good at room temperature for up to 2 days. Cover them in plastic wrap and let them sit on the counter.
- Store: You can also store the recipe in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Freeze: Let the cupcakes cool completely to room temperature before you seal them to store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
Cookies and Cream Cupcakes perfectly combine rich, tender, vanilla cake and everybody's favorite store-bought cookie. Ready in 30 minutes and perfect for parties!
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 Oreos , crushed into chunks
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup Oreo crumbs , finely processed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a 12 cup muffin tray with liner cups.
To a stand mixer add the butter and sugar and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
Add in eggs, vanilla and milk, then mix until smooth.
Sift together flour, baking powder and salt and add it to the stand mixer on the lowest speed setting until just combined.
- Stir in Oreo chunks.
Using an ice cream scoop fill the cups 2/3 full and bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
To your stand mixer on low-speed cream the butter then start adding in the powdered sugar in ½ cup increments until fully combined then raise the speed to medium-high for 1 additional minute.
Add in the vanilla and heavy cream and beat until light and fluffy for 1 minute.
- Add frosting to a piping bag and pipe onto completely cooled cupcakes.
Yield: 12 Servings, Amount per serving: 504 calories, Calories: 504g, Carbohydrates: 72g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 23g, Saturated Fat: 13g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 63mg, Sodium: 183mg, Potassium: 148mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 53g, Vitamin A: 583g, Calcium: 55g, Iron: 3g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.