This is the easiest, Ultimate Beef Brisket topped with Caramelized Onions. This brisket is simple enough for a regular family meal but flavorful enough for a holiday meal!
Beef Brisket with Caramelized Onions
Flavorful, easy brisket may sound like I’m trying to trick you. With a tough cut of meat like brisket, you’d think it would take forever and lots of fuss to make flavorful.
Brisket is actually one of the most versatile cuts of meats you can cook with and you can serve it (cooked mostly the same way in fact!) for so many different occasions.
Brisket is Versatile
Brisket can be served as a weeknight meal, or for a special occasion. Another amazing thing about brisket? It is significantly less expensive than most cuts of meat. You can dress Brisket up with different veggies, or make a sandwich – the options are endless! Here are some ideas for how you to eat your beef brisket:
- Your favorite Sunday meal, serve it with Mashed Potatoes and Rainbow Roasted Vegetables.
- For Hannukah Brisket (Chanukah Brisket) with Perfect Potato Latkes and Honey Roasted Apples
- Sliced thinly to make the perfect sandwiches, top them with A1 Steak Sauce (Copycat) or Chimichurri Sauce (and Marinade!)
- BBQ during the winter months! Serve with Honey Bacon Baked Beans and KFC Coleslaw (Copycat)
Beef Brisket Q & A
Below I answer some questions that typically come up about cooking this brisket.
Q: How to cook this brisket in the slow cooker?
A: Add the ingredients to the slow cooker (onions on the bottom) and cook on low heat for seven hours on low. When the meat is done, remove it and place it on the platter. Strain out the onions and add them to a skillet with a tablespoon of butter on high heat and brown them.
Q: Options for how to cook brisket of beef?
A: Brisket can be cooked in the slow cooker on low heat for 7 hours. Brisket in an oven is also an option, you can cook in the oven for 3-4 hours. And lastly, you can smoke a brisket on the grill for 5-6 hours.
Q: How long do you cook a brisket in the oven at 225?
A: If cooking brisket in Oven, cooking at 225 degrees a brisket could take a full 5-6 hours to cook. I prefer 3-4 hours at 325 degrees.
Q: How do you make a tender brisket?
A: The beef brisket is generally considered to be a tougher cut of meat, so cooking low and slow in either a smoker, an oven, a slow cooker or an indirect heat grill is important to help break down the tough connective tissue.
Looking for more roasts?
- Ultimate Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Roast Beef (Sliceable!)
- Slow Cooker Balsamic Pot Roast
- Perfect Garlic Prime Rib
Tools used in the making of this Beef Brisket with Caramelized Onions:
Cast Iron Skillet: This is my most used pan in my kitchen, heavy, keeps heat well and gives the BEST sear ever.
Pig Tail Flipper: I use this to flip the chicken without damaging the skin and its super easy. I use this tool EVERY time I cook something that requires flipping, it is amazing.
Beef Base: I almost never buy boxes of broth because I keep the beef, chicken and vegetable version of this Better Than Bouillon.
Easy Brisket with Caramelized Onions
- Yield: 10 Servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 15 minutes
- Course: Main
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 4 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 4 yellow onions sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 pound beef brisket
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons beef base (or second cup of beef broth)
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large cast iron skillet melt the butter on medium heat and add in the onions and half the salt.
Let cook for 15-20 minutes stirring every few minutes.
- Once they start caramelizing remove them from the pan.
- Add in the canola oil and turn the heat up to medium-high.
- Season the brisket with the remaining salt and pepper.
Brown on both sides for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove the beef and add the garlic, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth and beef base (if using).
- Stir well and add the brisket back in fat side up.
- Top with the onions and tent tightly with foil or a lid.
Cook for 3-4 hours.
I use beef base in the recipe as well as beef broth. I don't buy the beef broth separately, I just mix three times the amount of beef base required for one cup of water.
Yield: 10 Servings, Amount per serving: 330 calories, Serving Size: 6 , Calories: 330g, Carbohydrates: 5g, Protein: 38g, Fat: 16g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 112mg, Sodium: 740mg, Potassium: 707mg, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin C: 3.9g, Calcium: 25g, Iron: 3.8g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.