Ultimate Beef Brisket with Caramelized Onions is a perfect main course for weeknight dinner or for a holiday party, with leftovers perfect for sandwiches!
Beef Brisket with Caramelized Onions
Flavorful, easy brisket may sound like I’m trying to trick you. With a tough cut of meat like brisket, you’d think it would take forever and lots of fuss to make flavorful.
Brisket is actually one of the most versatile cuts of meats you can cook with and you can serve it (cooked mostly the same way in fact!) for so many different occasions.
Brisket is Versatile
Brisket can be served as a weeknight meal, or for a special occasion. Another amazing thing about brisket? It is significantly less expensive than most cuts of meat. You can dress Brisket up with different veggies, or make a sandwich – the options are endless! Here are some ideas for how you to eat your beef brisket:
- Your favorite Sunday meal, serve it with Mashed Potatoes and Rainbow Roasted Vegetables.
- For Hannukah Brisket (Chanukah Brisket) with Perfect Potato Latkes and Honey Roasted Apples.
- Sliced thinly to make the perfect sandwiches, top them with A1 Steak Sauce (Copycat) or Chimichurri Sauce.
- BBQ during the winter months! Serve with Honey Bacon Baked Beans and KFC Coleslaw (Copycat).
PERFECT SIDE DISH RECIPES TO SERVE WITH BEEF BRISKET
Create a free account to Save Recipes
Beef Brisket Q & A
Below I answer some questions that typically come up about cooking this brisket.
Q: How to cook this brisket in the slow cooker?
A: Add the ingredients to the slow cooker (onions on the bottom) and cook on low heat for seven hours on low. When the meat is done, remove it and place it on the platter. Strain out the onions and add them to a skillet with a tablespoon of butter on high heat and brown them.
Q: Options for how to cook brisket of beef?
A: Brisket can be cooked in the slow cooker on low heat for 7 hours. Brisket in an oven is also an option, you can cook in the oven for 3-4 hours. And lastly, you can smoke a brisket on the grill for 5-6 hours.
Q: How long do you cook a brisket in the oven at 225?
A: If cooking brisket in Oven, cooking at 225 degrees a brisket could take a full 5-6 hours to cook. I prefer 3-4 hours at 325 degrees.
Q: How do you make a tender brisket?
A: The beef brisket is generally considered to be a tougher cut of meat, so cooking low and slow in either a smoker, an oven, a slow cooker or an indirect heat grill is important to help break down the tough connective tissue.
Tools used in the making of this Beef Brisket with Caramelized Onions:
Cast Iron Skillet: This is my most used pan in my kitchen, heavy, keeps heat well and gives the BEST sear ever.
Food Turner: I use this to flip the chicken without damaging the skin and its super easy. I use this tool EVERY time I cook something that requires flipping, it is amazing.
Looking for more roasts?
HOW TO STORE BEEF BRISKET
- Serve: Beef Brisket can be out at room temperature for up to 2 hours before you should cover it and place it in the fridge.
- Store: Allow Beef Brisket to cool completely, then place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Freeze: You can freeze cooled Beef Brisket in a sealed container for up to 3 months. Before reheating, thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 yellow onions , sliced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt , divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 pound beef brisket
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cup beef broth
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large cast iron skillet melt the butter on medium heat and add in the onions and ½ teaspoon Kosher salt.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently until they start to caramelize.
- Remove the onions from the pan and set aside. Add in the canola oil and turn the heat up to medium-high.
- Season the brisket with the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and the pepper.
- Brown on both sides for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove the beef and add the caramelized onions, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and beef broth.
- Stir well and add the brisket back in fat side up.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 4 hours until meat is fork-tender.
- Serve thinly sliced, against the grain.