No-Bake Peppermint Oreo Blossoms are the perfect combination of a rich, crunchy chocolatey base and chocolate peppermint topping.
This easy Dessert Recipe is sure to become a favorite treat during the holiday season. The combination of chocolate and peppermint makes them wonderfully festive and delicious. For more peppermint and chocolate treats to add to your holiday tray, try our Peppermint Bark Brownies or Chocolate Peppermint Hearts.
Holiday baking can become overwhelming during the busy Christmas season. These easy no-bake cookies are made from crushed Oreo cookies and cream cheese with a chocolate mint candy coating and topped with peppermint white chocolate kisses for the most festive and amazing flavors.
If you’ve had blossom cookies before they have probably been Peanut Butter Blossoms. They are the most standard blossom cookie. Just like peanut butter blossoms, these peppermint cookies have Hershey’s Kisses in the center. However, the chocolate kiss center is one of the only similarities between the two recipes.
Both kinds of blossoms will quickly become dessert staples in your house. The kisses in the center add the perfect amount of sweetness and extra chocolate to the delicious desserts, but they are quite different.
Not only are they differently flavored, but it’s a completely different process to make this Peppermint and Oreo version. Unlike the delicious peanut butter cookies, this perfect cookie recipe is made with no baking time. Instead, the ingredients are combined and then given time to set in the freezer before coating them in chocolate. This makes it a great recipe for kids to help with because there’s no hot oven to worry about.
These peppermint and chocolate blossoms are sure to become a holiday classic that you make year after year. They’re easy, delicious, and look adorable with the striped mint flavor chocolate kiss on top. It’s the perfect cookie recipe for your next holiday party, to bring to a cookie exchange, or give as a gift.
Kid friendly, no-bake holiday treats are a great way to introduce children to the kitchen. They will love helping to make and give out gifts to friends and loved ones. Along with these chocolatey treats, try Christmas Wreath Cookies made with marshmallows, or Christmas Popcorn Crunch for a sweet and salty snack! Don’t forget to wash it down with a delicious mug of Hot Chocolate.
How to Make No-Bake Peppermint Oreo Blossoms
- Oreo crumbs: Put Oreo cookies in a food processor and pulse to make them into crumbs. Or, put them in a Ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to break them apart.
- Cookie base: Then add the cookie crumbs to a large bowl with the cream cheese. Beat the ingredients together until well blended. Use your hands to shape the cookie cream cheese mixture into 1 ½ inch balls. You can use a cookie scoop to easily shape them into even sizes. Then place the cookie balls onto a wax paper-lined baking tray with about 2 inches between each of them. Use the bottom of a glass to flatten them until they’re about 1/2-inch thick.
- Freezer time: Put the sheet with the cookies on it in the freezer for at least 30 minutes or until they are firm enough to handle easily.
- Coating: Add the peppermint candy coating and shortening to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring between each session until smooth. Dip each of the cookies into the chocolate coating, and allow any excess to drip off before placing them back on the sheet.
- Toppings: Before the coating hardens, add a kiss in the center of each cookie. If desired, sprinkle nonpareils over the kisses. Let them chill in the refrigerator to set.
More Delicious Cookies
Frequently Asked Questions
When melting chocolate, it is very important to avoid letting any water or steam come into contact with it. If this happens, it will seize and curdle. This can also happen if the chocolate overheats. You can try adding a little vegetable and coconut oil to the seized chocolate and stir vigorously to smooth it out again. If this trick doesn’t work, you’re better off tossing out the seized chocolate and starting over.
When giving cookies as a gift, you want to bake them as fresh as possible before wrapping and gifting (see the tips below on preparing the dough in advance). Make sure they are cooled completely, and package them in tissue paper to keep them from cracking. If your gift box or tin is not air tight, wrap the entire box in a clear plastic bag and tie with a decorative ribbon. Then your gift wrap also serves to help keep the cookies fresh!
Yes! Oreo now makes a gluten free version which makes these no-bake treats perfect for anyone on a gluten free diet. Just make sure to check the labels on the rest of your ingredients and choose decorations that are not manufactured in a way that they could be cross contaminated.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
Key Ingredients in No-Bake Peppermint Oreo Blossoms
- Oreos: Regular Oreos or your favorite cookie cream sandwiches work perfectly to form the base of this fun no-bake recipe.
- Cream Cheese: Use full fat cream cheese for the best texture and flavor results. Remove the cream cheese from the refrigerator about 30 minutes prior to starting the recipe so that it is softened and easy to mix.
- Melted Chocolate: Semi-sweet chocolate chips have the perfect balance to the sweetness of the Oreos and Kisses.
- Hershey Kisses: Each cookie is topped with a peppermint kiss that look like candy canes. They are peppermint flavored white chocolate kisses with festive red stripes. You’ll want to unwrap all your Peppermint kiss candies before you begin dipping the cookies in melted chocolate. This way you can quickly place each peppermint candy on the cookies before the chocolate sets.
Variations on No-Bake Peppermint Oreo Blossoms
- Chocolate Coating: Mix up the flavor of these festive holiday cookies with your favorite type of chocolate. You can use white chocolate, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet. You can also use chocolate melting wafers in a variety of colors and flavors.
- Hershey Kisses: There are so many flavor varieties of Hershey Kisses that you can use to make these yummy holiday cookies. Try caramel filled kisses, striped hugs, or dark kisses for your favorite combination.
- Cookies: Try the same recipe using your favorite flavor of cookies. Try Nutter Butters, shortbread cookies, chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cream sandwich cookies, or gingersnaps. Use different flavored extracts for the chocolate coating to complement the flavors of the cookie.
- Extract: Instead of peppermint extract, try vanilla extract, almond extract, or fruit extract. Experiment with different flavors to pair with other kinds of cookies.
- Caramel: Use caramel or salted caramel flavored candy melts and butterscotch extract for a toffee inspired twist on these no-bake holiday cookies. Chocolate and caramel are a natural pairing.
- Mocha peppermint cookies: To make peppermint Oreo cookies with a little bit of coffee flavor, you can add espresso powder to them. Either mix the coffee into the chocolate coating or sprinkle the coffee on top at the same time you add the chocolates.
- Birthday cake Oreo blossoms: To make Oreo blossoms for a different time of year besides the holidays, you can take the peppermint flavoring out. Use a regular melted chocolate coating, and milk chocolates for the kiss topping. You can also add white sprinkles or multi-colored nonpareils for a bright and happy look. They’ll be perfect for a birthday party or any fun get-together.
- Oreos: You can also experiment using different kinds of Oreo cookies. Try out peppermint, mint, red velvet, vanilla, or double chocolate Oreo Cookies.
- Decorations: In addition to sprinkles, use crushed candy canes, chopped gum drops, or other festive candies to add tasty toppings to the cookies.
More Peppermint Desserts
How to Store No-Bake Peppermint Oreo Blossoms
- Serve: It’s best to keep these cookies chilled, so you don’t want to leave them out at room temperature for more than a few hours.
- Store: Put them in an airtight container with the layers separated by parchment paper to store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Freeze: You could also put the sealed container in the freezer and keep these cookies for up to 3 months.
- Whisk together Oreo cookie crumbs and cream cheese until well combined.
- Scoop 2 tablespoon sized scoops (using a cookie scoop) onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Dip the bottom of a water glass in powdered sugar then flatten the scoops into circles about ½ inch thick.
- Freeze 1 hour.
- In a large glass bowl add the chocolate chips and shortening and microwave in 30 second increments.
- Stir and microwave until smooth then stir in the mint extract.
- Dip the cookie discs in the melted chocolate with a fork, tap the excess chocolate off and place back on parchment paper.
- Top with striped chocolate kiss and sprinkles.