Slow Cooker Crispy Chicken Pot Pie with crispy chicken thighs and all your favorite pot pie vegetables cooked together to make a thick and creamy side dish to the chicken.
Like our Classic Chicken Pot Pie but with half the work, this Slow Cooker Recipe will be a hit with your family!
Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie
Slow Cooker Crispy Chicken Pot Pie is a quick take on the classic Chicken Pot Pie but instead of chicken chunks I leave the chicken thighs whole to make this a heartier meal.
Slow Cooker Crispy Chicken Pot Pie makes a perfect plate of food for your meal including the chicken and the side of all the classic vegetables you’re used to. We include easy topping ideas to make on the side since you can’t make that as part of the slow cooker cooking process.
MORE EASY CHICKEN RECIPES
Brown the Chicken
The chicken thighs in this recipe are browned ahead of time. I use a shortcut to do this because my slow cooker has an aluminum insert instead of porcelain but if you have porcelain it will make your meal infinitely better if you brown your chicken in a second pan before adding it to your slow cooker.
I know, I know, extra step and extra dirty dish is not what slow cookers are all about but I promise the flavors make up for it!
Make this a quick meal using a classic frozen vegetable mix and canned (drained) potatoes.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
We use chicken thighs in this recipe for a heartier, richer meal. You can, instead chop 2 cups of chicken breasts or chicken thighs into the slow cooker instead if you would prefer. In testing we found the whole chicken thighs were rated higher, but either way you can’t go wrong.
You aren’t going to get the same classic pie crust topping in your slow cooker, but you do have options!
- Pie Crust: Roll out your pie crust and cut it into small squares or rectangles. Brush with an egg wash (1 egg + 1 tablespoon water mixed well) and bake until lightly browned. Once baked you can use it as a topping you break over the bowl or for dipping.
- Puff Pastry: Using a sheet of puff pastry, cut it into 4 or 6 large squares, brush with egg wash and bake in the final 15 minutes while you’re adding the cream and roux to your slow cooker.
- Biscuit: If you’re looking to add biscuits to your Slow Cooker Crispy Chicken Pot Pie instead of puff pastry like we did, top each bowlful with out delicious Buttermilk Biscuits.
We use a mixture of broth and heavy cream that thickens into a beautiful gravy. Some other options include:
- Evaporated milk: This is a good alternative to using milk and less rich than the heavy cream we are using. You’ll need to thicken before serving, but the flavors are delicious.
- Cream of Chicken Soup: In addition to your heavy cream, adding cream of chicken soup will add additional thickness to the gravy. You can also use cream of celery or cream of mushroom if you prefer.
Tools Used in making this Recipe:
Food Flipper: I use this to flip the chuck roast easily. I use this tool EVERY time I cook something that requires flipping, it is amazing.
Slow Cooker: This recipe was made in this slow cooker. Love this slow cooker and how programmable it is. Plus the locking lid makes it a breeze for making a dish that needs to travel
Aluminum Insert Slow Cooker: I brown the meat in the insert without losing a bunch of the flavor by transferring the meat and leaving the browned bits behind. If you’re thinking of a new slow cooker, consider it if your budget is open.
Cast Iron Skillet: If you don’t have a slow cooker with a stovetop friendly
insert, this is my most used pan in my kitchen, heavy, keeps heat well and gives the BEST sear ever.
- 5 chicken thighs , bone in and skin on
- 2 russett potatoes , peeled and diced
- 1/2 yellow onion , peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk , diced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth (or water)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 12 ounces frozen vegetable mix , carrots, corn, peas and green beans
- parsley and biscuits , for garnish (optional)
- In your cast aluminum slow cooker (or a seperate pan), brown the chicken on both sides for 3-5 minutes on high.
- Remove the chicken to add in the vegetables.
- Add the potatoes, onion and celery to the slow cooker and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the chicken stock onto the vegetables.
- Add the chicken thighs to the top of the vegetables cover.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- About 15 minutes before the timer is done remove the chicken and make a paste out of the flour and butter using a fork to mash it together.
- Add the butter mixture, the heavy cream and the thawed frozen vegetable mix to the vegetable mixture and stir.
- If your chicken isn't crispy enough right out of the slow cooker, you can brown it in the oven on broil for a couple of minutes or if you have a cast aluminum slow cooker just add the chicken back on top and pop the whole insert into the oven under the broiler for 2-3 minutes so the chicken skin crisps up.
- Serve with biscuits or cooked puff pastry.
can i use white meat chicken and cut it into cubes to make this? have loved every recipe i have tried so far. thank you
Hi Sabrina, I am going to try this recipe this weekend. Question for you could I add the biscuits into the slow cooker while I cook the chicken? Thank you!
I would not do that as the biscuits will get soggy. Bake them toward the end of the slow cooker cook time.
Thanks! I’m going to cook this dish today for tonights dinner.
No problem, hope you enjoy!
Hi Sabrina. I haven’t tried this recipe yet but I have no doubts on how delicious it will be when I do try it. I do have a question for you. Could I substitute the heavy cream for coconut cream? You see, I can only eat dairy free food due to a health problem and I rarely have a problem as I use dairy free butter, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, sour cream, etc. so hopefully coconut cream will work in this recipe. Thanks for your help.
I haven’t tested it but my gut is telling me that it should be just fine. Enjoy!
Another winner, Sabrina!! Husband LOVED it! Thanks!
Okay, this looks AMAZING!! I love chicken thighs, and this looks like such a simple way to make chicken pot pie. I’m pinning this one for sure
Thanks for the pin!
I love how easy this recipe is. I’m also excited to try that biscuit recipe you referenced to serve with the chicken. Chicken pot pie is one of my old favorites. I am always looking for new ideas, and I love making this in a slow cooker (plus I despise cooking with pie crust). I’m excited to check out the rest of your site.
Thanks Danielle! It’s one of my favorites too and the slow cooker just makes the whole dinner so much easier. Looking forward to seeing you around the site!
I simply can’t pry myself away from this page. Everything you post is like additive gold. Crack gold. But totally delicious as well. Crack gold chocolate. I don’t know where I’m going with this, other than pointing out that this recipe, like everything else you post, looks totally amazing. Love!
Awww, that’s so sweet! You totally made my day! I look forward to seeing you around the site!
I am 100% sure this is better than your avg pot pie!
Aww thanks! It was definitely easier and way less cleanup!
Love, love, love this idea – can’t wait to try it ASAP!
can this be made on the stove? i dont have a slow cooker
Sorry this comment took so long to get to, it ended up in my spam filter somehow! Yes in a heavy bottomed skillet like a cast iron skillet on medium heat for 20-25 minutes covered until all the vegetables are fully cooked.
I bet the extra step of browning is totally worth it!!
YUM!! I love this! Its the perfect dinner!!
Ahh I love this! Forget about the pie crust…..I’ll take your version! 🙂
I never would have thought to make pot pie in a crock pot – this is brilliant!!
Comfort food perfection! Great for cool fall days!