Panda Express Mandarin Teriyaki Chicken (Copycat)
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Panda Express Mandarin Teriyaki Chicken is a perfect copycat at home!
Panda Express Mandarin Teriyaki Chicken is one of the few dishes you can order at Panda Express and have that cool moment where they take a cleaver and chop up a whole chicken thigh in front of you. A tiny bit of theatrics in a fast food establishment is never bad, plus you can see that they used a whole chicken thigh and not just pre-cut pieces.
There are a lot of teriyaki sauces out there for you to choose from. This Panda Express Mandarin Teriyaki Chicken has that thick sweet glaze that you know from your favorite 2 item plate. I used powdered garlic and ginger for the sake of the copycat recipe. Their glaze does not have any chunks of garlic or ginger in it that I could see. You absolutely could use fresh ginger and garlic (which I actually prefer) but you’ll be deviating from that “copycat” style. If you are using fresh garlic and ginger instead of spices, use 1-2 teaspoons of each, minced finely.
Keeping track of all the Panda Express copycat recipes here on the blog?
- Panda Express Orange Chicken
- Panda Express Mushroom Chicken
- Panda Express Firecracker Chicken Breast
- Panda Express Chow Mein
- Panda Express Fried Rice
- Panda Express Black Pepper Chicken
- Panda Express Kung Pao Chicken
- Panda Express Beijing Beef
- Panda Express Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Panda Express String Bean Chicken Breast
- Panda Express Honey Walnut Shrimp
- Panda Express Cream Cheese Rangoon
- Panda Express Beef and Broccoli
- Panda Express Sweetfire Chicken Breast
Tools used in this recipe:
Lodge Grill Pan – I use this double sided pan for SO much, anytime I need a big flat surface for “grilling” or breakfast prep
Pig Tail Flipper – I use this *almost* more than I use tongs in the kitchen. Flipping is so quick and doesn’t smash foods.
Panda Express Mandarin Teriyaki Sauce – In case you don’t want to make this sauce, but really this sauce is super easy.
Panda Express Teriyaki Chicken (Copycat)
- 2 pound chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water mixed together
- In a bowl, add the canola oil to chicken thighs while waiting for grill pan to heat up on high.
- Add the chicken to grill pan and grill on high for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- While the chicken is cooking, Add the sugar, soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic powder, ground ginger, 1/3 cup water and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Lower temperature to medium-low and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the water/cornstarch mixture then cook over low heat until just thickened.
- Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve with brown rice and grilled pineapple.
Dinner, then Dessert, Inc. owns the copyright on all images and text and does not allow for its original recipes and pictures to be reproduced anywhere other than at this site unless authorization is given. If you enjoyed the recipe and would like to publish it on your own site, please re-write it in your own words, and link back to my site and recipe page. Read my disclosure and copyright policy. This post may contain affiliate links.