4th of July Ice Cream Casserole is a red, white and blue ice cream dish with strawberry topping, Cool Whip, berries and graham cracker crust.
Strawberry, vanilla, and blueberry flavors don’t just look like the perfect summertime treat, they taste like summer too! We used our easy recipes for Vanilla Ice Cream, Strawberry Ice Cream, Strawberry Topping, Cool Whip, and Chocolate Ganache to make this 4th of July Ice Cream Casserole extra special and flavorful. Since almost every layer of this festive summer dessert is made from scratch, it’s a decadent dessert that you can feel good about.
Our easy recipes for homemade ice cream all have variations if you don’t have an ice cream machine so anyone can make them. If you want to make this completely from scratch, double the recipe for the strawberry ice cream but divide in half and use blueberries in one half and strawberries in the other. Since you are using fresh berries as a garnish, grab bulk crates of berries you have plenty for the casserole and your homemade ice cream.
If you don’t want to use blueberry ice cream for this 4th of July Ice Cream Casserole, use food coloring with vanilla ice cream to get the blue color without blueberry taste. You could also add red, white, and blue sprinkles to different ice cream flavors for more bursts of holiday color. Make this Ice Cream Casserole for other holidays by altering the flavors, the food coloring, and fruit garnishes. We’ve got some other holiday ideas in the variations section!
More Tasty, Easy Frozen Treats!
Layering Ice Cream Ideas
4th of July Ice Cream Casserole is a gorgeous dessert that makes you look like a professional food stylist but is so easy to assemble. Soften your ice cream before assembling for at least 15 minutes so its easy to spread, but don’t let it get too melty. You can spread layers of each ice cream on top of each other for a stacked look, add scoops next to each other, or you can make a swirl pattern. Freezing alternately as you make your design takes a bit longer but it helps keep everything from melting together.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
- Easter Ice Cream Casserole: Swap the blueberry ice cream for pistachio ice cream, or use light green food coloring. Decorate the top with Easter candy like candy-coated chocolate malt eggs, pastel M&Ms, Marshmallow Peeps, or jelly beans.
- Christmas Ice Cream Casserole: Swap the strawberry and blueberry ice cream with peppermint ice cream (dyed red if not already) and Chocolate Ice Cream. Decorate with crushed candy canes and make the crust with Gingerbread Cookies.
- Cookie Crust: Make the graham cracker crust with other crispy cookies like Oreos, vanilla wafers, or iced ginger cookies. Try with cinnamon graham crackers, chocolate graham cracker, or pretzels too.
- Fillings: Instead of strawberry topping, you can use strawberry jelly, Blueberry Jam, or soft fruits like bananas and canned peach slices. Try other fruity flavors like Lemon Curd or Pineapple Topping too.
- Toppings: Use red, white, and blue sprinkles, M&Ms, or other festive candies. Try with chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, or peanut butter chips. Cookie pieces, chopped candy bars, mini marshmallows, or fruit sauces would taste delicious!
More Fruity Summer Desserts
How to Store
- Serve: Keep 4th of July Ice Cream Casserole frozen until serving and only leave at room temperature long enough to serve so it doesn’t melt. Make sure to freeze for at least 4 hours so it holds together when serving.
- Freeze: Wrap 4th of July Ice Cream Casserole tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil to prevent frostbite. Freeze ice cream casserole for up to 6 months without the berry topping and 3 months with the berries.
Graham Cracker Crust:
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , melted
- Stir together graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter until well mixed.
- Add crust mixture to a 9x13 baking dish and press down evenly.
- Scoop the ice creams all over the baking pan so theres a good even distribution around the baking dish.
- Spread with knife or offset spatula to smooth over.
- Spread strawberry topping evenly over baking dish.
- Spread Cool whip evenly and freeze for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Drizzle with chocolate ganache and top with berries before serving.