Cheesy Breakfast Enchiladas are an easy Mexican casserole. Corn tortillas loaded with bacon, cheese, onions, and bell peppers, topped with cheesy eggs.
When you need a quick and delicious Breakfast Recipes for a crowd, you can’t beat hearty baked dishes like Breakfast Casserole and these enchiladas.
CHEESY BREAKFAST ENCHILADAS
Savory Mexican Food classics like Enchiladas aren’t just for lunch and dinner, they make a tasty and filling breakfast recipe too! This easy recipe for Breakfast Enchiladas is great for meal prepping, serving for holidays, or even as a fun breakfast for dinner idea. No matter how you serve them, the bacon, egg, and cheese combo is sure to be a hit with everyone.
These Cheesy Breakfast Enchiladas are easy to throw together when you need breakfast fast. They are made in one bowl so clean up is quick, too! Instead of cooking everything separately and assembling like Breakfast Burritos, you simply roll up the veggies, cheese, and bacon and bake the eggs on top. The eggs bake until perfectly fluffy and light, wrapped around the stuffed tortillas, and smothered in cheese for an extra cheesy bite.
Cheesy Breakfast Enchiladas are a family friendly recipe with mild flavors that everyone can enjoy. You can change up the fillings to what you have on hand or what you like better. Serve Breakfast Enchiladas with breakfast sides like Hash Browns or Tater Tot Waffles, or with Mexican favorites like Refried Beans and Spanish Rice. Those tasty side dishes can double as a filling too!
These Cheesy Breakfast Enchiladas are a great holiday breakfast recipe for a crowd! You can make them the night before, or make them a couple days ahead of time and freeze until you are ready to serve. Plus you can swap out the bacon with leftover diced Baked Ham or Roasted Turkey. Chop some extra bell peppers, onion, and green onions while you make your veggie tray and sides to make prep even easier during the holidays.
MORE SAVORY BREAKFAST CASSEROLE RECIPES
Overnight Breakfast Enchiladas
Make Cheesy Breakfast Enchiladas ahead of time and refrigerate overnight. Prepare filling and stuff tortillas as usual, place in baking pan and cover with egg mixture. Wrap baking pan tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate up to 24 hours. Bake for 25-30 minutes before adding the cheese layer and baking the final 10 minutes. You can bake and freeze, then reheat in the oven from frozen too!
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CHEESY BREAKFAST ENCHILADAS
- Meat: Instead of bacon, try cooked breakfast sausage, diced ham, or chorizo. Be sure to use cooked meat and drain the grease before adding. To make these vegetarian, swap the meat with cooked soy chorizo or black beans.
- Cheese: Substitute any shredded cheese for the cheddar cheese like Colby jack or mozzarella cheese. Swiss cheese would taste delicious with ham or go south of the border with Pepper Jack cheese.
- Tortillas: Flour tortillas make softer, creamier Breakfast Enchiladas, but you can swap any tortilla like corn tortillas or wheat tortillas. If you use corn tortillas, warm them for 10 seconds in the microwave so they are easier to wrap.
- Veggies: More veggies you can use in your filling are diced tomatoes, canned green chiles, leftover fajita or Roasted Veggies, diced cooked potatoes, or thawed frozen tater tots. Remember that this only bakes for about 30 minutes so either cut raw veggies very small or cook them a bit first.
- Spices: Give your Cheesy Breakfast Enchiladas more Mexican flavor by adding 1 tablespoon Taco Seasoning to the egg mixture. You could also try spices like chile powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, or oregano. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Sauce: Before you add the egg mixture, spread an even layer of thin salsa or Enchilada Sauce over the stuffed tortillas. Drizzle a little extra enchilada sauce before adding the cheese and baking a second time.
MORE MEXICAN RECIPES
HOW TO STORE CHEESY BREAKFAST ENCHILADAS
- Serve: You can keep Cheesy Breakfast Enchiladas at room temperature for up to 2 hours before they need to be stored. Cool Breakfast Enchiladas completely before storing.
- Store: Transfer Cheesy Breakfast Enchiladas to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven on low heat or microwave in 30 second bursts.
- Freeze: Freeze Breakfast Enchiladas a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Reheat from frozen or thaw enchiladas overnight before reheating. Freeze cooked Cheesy Breakfast Enchiladas in the pan wrapped tightly with plastic wrap and foil. Remove plastic wrap and re-cover with foil before reheating in the oven until hot.
- 8 ounces bacon , cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup green onions , thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion , minced
- 1/2 cup green bell peppers , diced
- 8 flour tortillas , 8 inches
- 2 cups cheddar cheese , shredded, divided
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
- In a medium bowl stir together bacon, green onions, yellow onion and green bell pepper.
- Add ¼ cup of mixture to each tortilla with 2 tablespoons of shredded cheddar.
- Roll each tortilla closed and add to baking dish seam side down.
- In the same (now empty) medium bowl add the eggs, heavy cream, milk, salt, pepper and flour and whisk well until smooth.
- Pour over the tortillas.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil, add remaining one cup cheddar cheese and bake for an additional 10 minutes.